Postcrossing - Incoming

To May 24, 2012
The week is nearly over, but I thought I would update the cards I have received this week.  I have had a good week so far.


Kaiserin Elisabeth von Osterreich (1837-1898)

A few days ago I posted a card of Romy Schneider. I didn't know, but she played this person in a series of films.  This is Sissi, Queen of Austria and Hungary.  She lived from 1837-1898.  She had quite an interesting life but had more than a few problems with eating. She was apparently quite vain about her appearance and was famous for having a wasp waist which she achieved by dieting and strict corseting.  She was assassinated by an anarchist as she tried to board a ship.  

The card was sent to me by Wilhelm.  He lives with his wife and dog in a small German village.  I love learning about historical figures, so I like this card very much.




Deanna sent this movie card to me all the way from Canada.  Hurray! My first postcrossing from home.  She hopes that I like the card, and writes that she's in her twenties and has her BA in Anthropology from McMaster.  She loves museums and works in a small museum in Toronto.  

I do love this card as I saw the film with my niece and nephew over Christmas a while ago. It was a hoot.

There were also some great stamps on this card, which I have posted for a change!  The first two are the interesting Titanic stamps.  They commemorate the 100th anniversary of the Titanic sinking.  I'm not sure if the detail is there when you click on them, but one half of the stamp says Halifax, the other half says Southampton.  Really cool.

However, the other stamp was the one I was really surprised by.  Released for Black History Month, it shows John Ware.  He was born a slave in South Carolina and then was freed after the US Civil War.  He made his way up to Alberta where he settled and raised a family.  He was apparently quite a famous person and his funeral was one of the biggest that Calgary had seen until that time.  Sadly, I had never even heard of him.  





 Claudia sent me this great portrait of Sophia Loren.  Claudia is originally from Germany but now lives in Ireland.  She said that it was interesting to write to me as I have also left my homeland.  She wishes me the best and hopes I like her card.  I do, very much.
Sophia Loren, 1955
 Claudia also used an interesting stamp.  Yes, another Titanic stamp!  I like this one too but I don't know who the lady on the stamp is, sorry.
Edited to add that thanks to a suggestion from a reader (Illahee), the lady on the stamp is  (the unsinkable) Molly Brown.  Her parents were Irish immigrants to the US.  



Eva from the Czech Republic sent this card.  She says that the Golden Lane at Prague Castle is a beautiful place.  It certainly looks like it from this card.  She writes that she loves Meryl Streep. (Me too!)

Golden Lane - Prague/Praha



There you are. Four great cards AND a bonus of some interesting stamps too.  I hope that you like these cards as much as I do.  Until next time!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great cards! I have not gotten any this week at all! But the one I wrote to Belarus finally arrived and was registered! It took 40 days! I still have one to Russia that is still traveling. They were some of the first cards I sent. I'm going to write two cards now and mail them tomorrow.

Helen said...

Yes, sadly Russia and China take a long, long time to arrive, if they even do. Sometimes they don't arrive :-( I've had one each to both countries not get there.

But yay for your cards arriving...that's great! Enjoy sending the cards. I'm sending out a bunch today too!

Thanks for visiting :-)

illahee said...

i think the woman on the titanic stamp is molly brown. she actually survived the sinking and is famous for it!

Helen said...

I did wonder if it was her...but didn't know if she was Irish. If she wasn't, why put her on the stamp? I'm a huge fan of the old Debbie Reynolds movie, The Unsinkable Molly Brown, so I know who she is....I'll try and look her up.

Thanks for the hint and for visiting :-)

Helen said...

Just Wikipedia'ed Molly Brown and you were correct Illahee. Her parents were Irish immigrants, so I guess that was enough of a connection to put her on the stamp. Thanks!