January 17, 2019

Thursday - Cold, snowy and windy

I woke up this morning when F got up and I had a wee chat with him. I told him about the two kerosene tanks I had put in the genkan and asked him to deal with them for me. I think he did. Yay.

I had a quiet morning in the room. It was cold so I am afraid I stayed in bed a little late. I wasn’t sleeping though.

I had breakfast and thought about going down to make soup. I waited until after 12 though. I waited until about 12:30 as I hadn’t heard K in the living room, so assumed she was still sleeping. However, a few minutes after I started work on my soup, she got up. Oh dear. I’m afraid that I was in her way so she didn’t really come in to get her lunch.

I put together a chicken and vegetable soup today. I parboiled the vegetables and this time I cooked the garlic I used. Last time I put it in raw and since it was really strong stuff, it overpowered everything.  I got it all put in the slow cooker finally. I had visits from K and even from F.  He came here for a quick visit. While he was here I broke the towel rack in the kitchen. Oh no! I’m not exactly sure how I did it, but the plastic was old and quite brittle, so it just flew everywhere. Sigh. I told F and K and they both seemed less concerned than I was. Whew. 

I went back upstairs when I was done and let K have the kitchen. I had a very late lunch today, grabbed it around 4 pm actually. The soup was smelling rather nice. Yay.

I did my dishes after lunch and then went outside for a few minutes to do some snow shovelling. It wasn’t deep, just a bit cold out. My gloves got wet too, which was a pain. 

F came back to the house around 6:30 I think. I’d sent him to the store on his way back from work for some French bread and salad. I served dinner, and then cleaned up afterwards without any help at all. Poor me. I know that F is exhausted, but it would have been nice if he could help a tad. And, after all my work, F and K only had one bowl of soup. They said it was good, but F has a stomach thing going on and K pretends she doesn’t like to eat a lot. The French bread was good. I had put cheese on half of it and toasted it, so it was a little luxury. So, my lovely soup is now sitting in the fridge. I haven’t decided if I’ll have some for lunch tomorrow or not. Maybe I will. For dessert, I had pre-cut some stollen that a friend had given me and put it on a plate with mini forks. F didn’t have any because of his stomach, but K and I polished off most of the rest. There was a half a piece left on the plate so I wrapped it up and told her it was for her and would be in the fridge!

I washed the dishes and then dried them. With this style of dinner making, there weren’t a whole lot of dishes so that was good. It still took me a while. I washed and dried and put away my slow cooker and then put the soup in the fridge. Done.

F came upstairs later and wanted to go to an onsen. Our usual one is closed today so he went to a nearby one. I didn’t go with him as the seating isn’t comfortable and there isn’t any wifi. I did tell him that if he felt like it afterwards, I would meet him at the door and go to a coffee shop with him. And that’s what we ended up doing.

We went to Komeda coffee. F had a coffee milkshake which he liked, I had a decaf coffee. I did think about having cocoa but decided against it. 

We came back to the house after our coffee. We closed out the coffee shop I think!
F went to bed fairly soon and I’m trying to go a little bit earlier tonight. I’m quite tired as I had a busy day. 

Tomorrow I might get a start on my column or a craft project. I really should start my column! Come back later if you like and see what I get up to. Until tomorrow….

No comments: