January 21, 2019

Monday - Cold & Snowy

I had a hard time waking up this morning. My news came on really early today, so it was pre-taped. I overslept and barely dragged myself out of bed. Thankfully I got dressed, so a bit later when I heard the doorbell, I could run downstairs.  K was there before me though. It was F’s uncle and aunt I think, and they came for a visit. I said a quick hello and then came back upstairs.

I had a quiet morning and afternoon. When I went down to get lunch K wasn’t around.  I came back upstairs and ate, and watched a bit more TV from the DVR.  I did actually start working on my column today. I didn’t do a lot, but I did start. Yay.

Around 4 pm I took my dishes downstairs to wash. I did that and then went outside and shovelled snow for a while. When I came in again I got a big surprise. K asked me to come into the living room and watch sumo with her! I wasn't sure what was happening. She offered me tea and some cake. I took a little bit of cake and sat with her for a while. I was actually rather touched. I left after washing the dish and knife and went back upstairs to look for a recipe.  

When F called, I was trying to print out a recipe. It took a while as my printer and I weren’t communicating well. I suggested he just come to the house.

I went downstairs and started making guacamole. The avocados were a little overripe but still tasted fine. I didn’t have a seasoning packet, so I just had to add a few things. I think it turned out okay. When F came, I said that I was going to make either omelettes or scrambled eggs, which did he prefer? He said scrambled eggs. I toasted our tortilla chips as they were a bit stale, made some eggs, cut up some cheese for them, did some frozen broccoli from the freezer and even toasted a piece of bread for myself. F did help. He took things out to the table, plated some of the guacamole and heated the rice. Dinner came together and was pretty good. It was even better considering that I hadn’t actually planned to do anything except the guacamole!

Everyone seemed to enjoy their meal, which surprised me a lot! After I finished I went to the kitchen with the dishes. I started washing the dishes, took a break to dry the ones I’d finished, and by then F came into the kitchen and washed the rest. Yay!

Looking at what I needed for dinner tomorrow, I decided to get some milk as ours expired last year! I asked F if we could go and get a few groceries and maybe have a drink somewhere. We ended up at Starbucks which was nearly empty tonight. We had a cup of drip decaf each. It was pretty good. We sat and drank and played on our phones for a bit.

We got a few groceries for tomorrow. I picked up the milk and also some salad, plus a few snacks for us two.  

F bought some kerosene on the way to the house and sadly spilt a little all over his clothes. The car smelled on the way back. He changed and put his clothes in the wash and took a shower. I put together the plastic garbage and then went upstairs and grabbed all of our plastic bottles to dispose of.  I spent a few minutes cleaning and crushing them, before bagging them for tomorrow.

F and I had the last of the tortilla chips that I had toasted tonight with some of the guacamole. It was really nice! I think I might like it more than the packet stuff even though I just used a few ingredients! 
That was about it. I did book a hotel for myself in Tsuruoka for April. I’m having an event and I’m trying to get my friends to visit! I wanted to see what the hotel booking experience was like…terrible! I had to get F to help as the English page doesn’t work and the Japanese was too complicated for me to muddle through. Still, I think we got it!

I finished up my night with American Idol. They’ve made it really short in this version. It seems like they are cutting people so quickly, I’m rather upset about the whole thing. We went from 10 people to seven and now to five. Egads. Oh well…

Anyway, I’m not sure what I’ll get up to tomorrow, but hopefully, laundry will be involved, as will some cooking of dinner! Come back later and see what happens. Until tomorrow….


No comments: