June 18, 2019

Tuesday - Overcast, then sunny

I thought that the big news today would be that I went downtown and got my hair cut. It wasn’t. This happened….



On with my update.  I got up this morning and decided that I’d go downtown and see if I could have a haircut.  I watched my shows, had breakfast and then left for my bus. I even told K where I was going so she wouldn’t worry.

I left early for the bus and it was slightly late, so that worked out. No huffing and puffing to the stop. I got out at Tsuruoka Station and looked at the new and improved station. It opens on Friday. Should be cool.  I checked out Foodever. I had thought I’d splurge on the fancy pasta restaurant today, but it was closed. Shucks.

Went to the post office and got gorgeous stamps. Went over to my hairdresser’s salon and went in. No one came.  I “sumimasened” a couple of times and I saw her daughter go out of the house part.  I gave up after 3 or 4 minutes.  I left the salon and saw my hairdresser running to the salon with her daughter.  I guess she had gone to find her mother for me!  We made arrangements to meet at 4 pm.

I went to the mall and checked out the lunch at the Hotel. It sounded nice, but not the pasta one, the meat lunch. I decided I’d have it.  I went in, ordered, ate. I used the wifi a little. Then I noticed that F had tried to call me. I texted him back and the upshot was that he had some free time and had been planning to pick me up and bring me to the downtown area, but I’d beaten him to it! 

We arranged to meet up and then had a sneaky Starbucks together before he dropped me back at the mall. I bought a couple of things at the hundred yen shop, then went back to the hair salon and got my hair cut really short. I’d taken a picture of Judi Dench with me, so if you can picture her, you know what my hair looks like! It’s cute.

I went back to the mall afterwards and went into Doutors to wait for F. He wasn’t very late tonight.  We had some iced coffee and used the wifi. I suggested going out for dinner with his mother. I thought going to Gusto might be a nice outing for her.

We did that. We picked K up and had a pretty good dinner at Gusto. We came back to the house. K and I stayed in, F went to the local onsen since his favourite one is closed right now.  

He came back when it closed and picked me up. We went to the big grocery store to pick up a few things for tomorrow’s dinner and that’s when it happened. All of a sudden, the whole store began to shake. My cell phone’s alarm was going off and things were falling off shelves. It was quite a big one and lasted for 20 or 30 seconds I think.  

The store staff asked everyone to leave the store, which we did.  We left our basket in the store since we couldn’t pay for things. We drove back to the house. There were no lights on at first, but when we came in we heard the TV. K was up, the quake had woken her up. She was relieved to see us.  

F had to go into work to check things out. He works for the prefecture, so they have to check on major things in the area.  He was gone from about 11:30 to 3 am. He just arrived back, and he still has to go to work early tomorrow morning.  

We’re going to try and get some sleep soon.  We’ve had one fairly big aftershock, we’ll probably have a few more before it calms down.  

I’ll hopefully be here tomorrow night with another report. Until tomorrow….

No comments: