June 22, 2019

Saturday - Rainy with thunder and lightning

It’s crazy late at the moment, so I’ll just do a barebones update.  It was a good day.  F took his mother to the onsen this morning, I slept a little late. We spent a bit of time together in the morning, but he got a call from an internet provider and now he wants to change. We’ve been down this road before and nothing happened…

F and I went out for lunch to Hyakkenbori, the place at the university. I had a Japanese noodle dish…yes, me… and it was lovely. It was cold udon noodles with sesame sauce for dipping, lovely veggies, steamed chicken and a bit of salad. F had the fish lunch.  We both had a drink set, which was a kind of drink bar today so he could have as much coffee as he wanted! I had tea.

Over lunch, we did have a disagreement about phones and using them so much at restaurants. F complained about me using my computer as much as I do, but I pointed out to him that I don’t take it out of the house with me. I never bring it to restaurants or on trips, he’s always got his phone in hand and an earphone in. 

We went to the Chido Museum today after lunch to look at their new exhibition. It’s a photography exhibit of local views and we really enjoyed it. We sat on the bench in the museum and discussed a few of the pictures that we liked the most.  Of course, we also checked out the garden and noticed that there are water lilies now.  


We got a bento for K and brought it back to the house for her. I grabbed a wrap for warmth, and then F and I drove off to the Kamo Aquarium.  There was a jazz concert there tonight and we wanted to go and see it. It was free for Aquarium passport holders so why not?  Well, my passport had expired so we had to renew it. F’s needed renewing soon too, so he did it tonight as well.
Gratuitous Jellyfish Shot

How was the concert? Really good.  It was a quartet of women musicians tonight and they were great. I did have a problem staying awake….I spent most of the concert with my eyes closed, but don’t think I actually fell asleep!

Sunset from the outside of the Aquarium

After the show, we talked about where to go for dinner. F wanted sushi, but I suggested either Indian or Thai food. We ended up going for Indian and it was good.  I had chicken curry with mine and F had pork curry with his.  It was even better because our stamp card was full and so we got a free dinner out of it. Dinner for two was only 1300 yen. Woot!  

We visited a drugstore quickly where I did another skin test of sunscreen. I am having a big problem finding a type that will work for me and not cause problems. Sigh. When I reapply, the sunscreen gets mixed with my sweat and that is quite painful on my face.  Ideally, I’d like to wash my face before reapplying, but that isn’t always possible.

F and I came back to the house and watched a couple of episodes of The Good Doctor off the DVR. Yay!  We were really backlogged with it.  I did some knitting and finally finished that darn scarf I was making, but I may go back and redo the last row as the casting off seems a bit too tight. 

After that, F and I had a bit of couple’s time. We talked about our anniversary in a couple of months, we shared a bottle of Apple Cider, that sort of thing. It was just nice. We haven’t had a lot of us time for a while.  

F went to bed a while ago, I’m still up, but will go to bed soon. It’s been a good day, despite (because of?) our lunch argument. I’m happy I spoke my mind for a change.  

Come back later and see how my Sunday goes. Until tomorrow….

2 comments:

Rosa said...

Hi, Helen!

I hear you on the sunscreen woes. Almost nothing works for me, sunscreen-wise.

Have you thought about using a makeup wipe to get off the old sunscreen before you reapply? Clinique makes a towelette (Take the Day Off Micellar Cleansing Towelettes) that doesn't irritate even my ridiculously sensitive skin. You can get a travel size packet of them for fairly cheap (less than $5 here in the states anyway) to test them out if you think they might work for you.

Sounds like you had a lovely Saturday! Hope the rest of your week is lovely as well.

Helen said...

Hi there! Thanks for the idea, you know, it never dawned on me to use a towelette to clean off sweat and the old sunscreen...what a good idea! I don't have a Clinique distributor anywhere near, but I can use another type, a knockoff brand that I don't have problems with!

It turned into rather a good weekend! Thanks for commenting...you gave me a great idea :-D