April 28, 2024

Sunday - Hot and sunny


I woke up first this morning around 9am when I had to make a trip downstairs. After that, I went back to sleep for a while. Well, I tried to. F came in the room and made noise so I had to try and cover my ears. I finally fell asleep again. I ended up waking up a couple of times and finally got up a little later than usual. 


F wanted me to pick a place for lunch today and I surprised myself by asking for a Japanese restaurant. It surprised and pleased F too. I got dressed and then we headed out to the restaurant. Unfortunately, when we got there, there was no parking left. 


I suggested trying a restaurant in Kushibiki that we often went to in the past. We drove out there, but it too was very busy. Since we didn’t want to wait longer, we went back to Tsuruoka. F wanted to try the soba place again. When we got there, there was parking, but there was a lineup of people out the door. F wanted to get in line and I didn’t as it was full on sun. I can’t handle the sun, especially not at 12:30 in the afternoon. He made me get out of the car and line up with him, but after a few minutes of the line not moving, we decided to move on. 


We went to Kissa Marina and were able to get seats at the counter. A group very nicely took a floor table instead of the counter for us. Neither of us is good at sitting on the floor these days. I had a lovely meal of salmon and mushroom Japanese-style pasta with soup and salad and oolong tea, F had a yakiniku-donburi with soup, salad and an iced coffee.  I liked mine, he said that his was too salty. I did find my soup to be too salty, but the rest was fine. 


We came back to the house after lunch and F sorted out his fishing gear. He went out at one point too to get his mother some food. Around 3 pm I decided that I should really get myself ready for going out so that I didn’t slow things down. I sorted out some clothes that I could wear and changed into them.


About 3:30 or so we got in the car and went towards the coast. F kept driving past his usual fishing spots and we ended up quite far south. Finally, he stopped at a place and we set up. By now, it was around 5 pm.  I let F know that sunset was at 18:31 so we didn’t have a huge amount of time. He prepared the fishing rods and I baited mine and dropped the hook into the water. 


We were there for an hour and a half but didn’t have much luck. The water was extremely clear and I could see the bottom of the harbour. There were starfish on the bottom and I could sometimes see small fish try to eat the bait on my hook!


Around 6:20 I did actually catch a fish. It was tiny and apparently semi-poisonous and is the kind of fish that bites. F told me later he was bitten by the same kind of fish when he was younger and it really hurt! F took the fish off the hook and threw it back in for me. So, that was it. Our fishing trip. Poor F didn’t catch anything. 


We called it a day at 6:30 pm and drove back to Tsuruoka. We discussed where to go for dinner and followed our old tradition of going to the yakiniku buffet after a day of fishing. We were able to get in right away and for the next couple of hours had a huge meal of mostly yakiniku! Neither of us wanted to eat anything else afterwards!


We came back to the house and came upstairs. F went to bed soon after, I’m still up, but am tired too. F wants to go to the restaurant we couldn’t go to tomorrow quite early. I’m not really in favour of that as lunch is later than 11 am in my opinion, but I don’t want him cranky!


Anyway, today was a good day, so I hope that tomorrow will be as well. Come back later if you like and find out what happens. Until tomorrow….




No comments: