Film 12) Charlie Wilson's War

Tom Hanks, Julia Roberts, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Amy Adams (May 21, 2008)

The US political system is a mystery to me. I don't understand it, which sometimes makes it difficult for me to appreciate political movies.

Charlie Wilson's War is different. Charlie Wilson is different! He's a "good ol' boy" from Texas, with an exterior that belies his keen intelligence. As played by Tom Hanks, Wilson realizes the US can stop Russia's invasion of Afghanistan and in the process bring about the end of the cold war.

The acting and writing in this film is generally excellent. Philip Seymour Hoffman as a CIA operative especially shines. The dialogue is crisp and sparkling, unsurprising when you realize it was written by Aaron Sorkin (The West Wing).

This is the second political film I've seen this year and is easily the better of the two. After the film was over, I had a much better understanding of why September 11 happened.

Definitely worth seeing. As it's a story based movie rather than a special effects movie, it should hold up nicely on dvd. Take a look. I'm glad I did.

No comments: