2008 Wrapup Meme

I was curious about this meme, but it wasn't until Kelly put it on her page that I decided to do it. My answers seem a little sad and angry. I don't mean them to be.


1. What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before?
I had one wisdom tooth removed.

2. Did you keep your new years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I don't make New Year's resolutions. It was my resolution a few years ago to stop. It's the only one I've ever kept!

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yes, almost all of my ex-Eikaiwa co-workers! Better them than me.

4. Did anyone close to you die?
Not that I'm aware of.

5. What countries did you visit?
Just Canada, then home to Japan.

6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
More patience, more grace.

7. What date from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
??not etched obviously.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Asking for help when I needed it.

9. What was your biggest failure?
Making one of my students quit because I wasn't willing to put up with her continual rescheduling and absences.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Sort of an injury. I've had a terribly itchy scalp since April, probably due to an allergic reaction.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
My iPod, although some of the clothes I bought in Canada come close!

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Hmm. Not sure really. Probably not mine!

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
My husband's when he was angry at me.

14. Where did most of your money go?
Books, my trip to Canada, dvds.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Going to Canada to see my family and friends.

16. What song will always remind you of 2008?
Faith Hill's The Way You Love Me. I know it's an older song, but I'd never heard it until Vanessa played it for me in Canada.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder

Sadder.

ii. thinner or fatter?
I don't like this question. I'd prefer healthier or less healthy.

iii. richer or poorer?
Poorer

18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Going out and meeting people.

19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Fighting with my husband.

20. How will you be spending Christmas?
Spent it with Fumihiko at our apartment. It was nice.

22. Did you fall in love in 2008?
Does a crush on Jason Statham count?

23. How many one-night stands?
None, but let me know if Jason comes to Japan!

24. What was your favorite TV program?
Project Runway, because it was so over the top but in a fun way.

25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
No, actually I hate one less person since I found out my stepmonster died.

26. What was the best book you read?
Atonement - Ian McEwan

27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Didn't really make one this year.

28. What did you want and get?
An iPod, some dvds.

29. What did you want and not get?
A million dollars!

30. What were your favorite films of this year?
August Rush, Enchanted, The Dark Knight, Iron Man

31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I stayed in Sendai by myself. I saw American Gangster, ate carbonara and had a gorgeous piece of cake in my hotel room. I was 44 this year.

32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Having more time with my friends and family.

33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
Trying to find t-shirts without stains on them.

34. What kept you sane?
Nothing. I've been nuts for years.

35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Jason Statham.

36. What political issue stirred you the most?
Fingerprinting of resident foreigners re-entering Japan.

37. Who did you miss?
My best friend Michelle, my sister, my niece and my nephew.

38. Who was the best new person you met?
I met very few new people this year. Virtually met, perhaps Jennifer or Natalie.

39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008.
I'm the only person who cares about my happiness.

40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
"We're on a Road to Nowhere"--Talking Heads. Not sure if it's talking about me personally or Japan!

2 comments:

Kelly said...

I love that song "we're on the road to nowhere" such a classic!

Alot of the answers you wrote i actually really agree with. Like the one where you put you were angry with your husband, i almost put that too! And the one where you said "trying to find t-shirts without stains" yep, i'm a grot! I go through a bottle of Preen stain remover every couple of weeks. haha. :)

Hope you start feeling happier soon, though sometimes it's nice to wallow in sadness for a while. I mean, it's not nice, but we have to get it out of our system and let ourselves feel the way we feel.

Kelly :)

Emsk said...

Happy New Year Helen. Hope you feel cheerier soon. New Year's a funny old time, eh?