January 5, 2009 - Monday

Gorgeous day. Sunny, cold, but no rain or snow. Woot!

Trying to get back to my normal routine today. I got up in time to watch the news then remembered that there isn't news on Monday. Sigh. Read the paper instead, and enjoyed it.

I had a pretty good day at home. I did a bit of housework too, which really surprised the heck out of me. I vacuumed the apartment, bundled up some of Fumihiko's cans to go out for collection tomorrow and did some other "Garbage Management" things, then worked on getting the kitchen back into some semblence of shape. I have a long way to go.

I had a nice late breakfast of toasted raisin bread, then before I left for the school I had an omelette.

I set out on my bike just before 5 and didn't stop anywhere, although I had thought about it before. At the school, I parked my bike and got to work. I did a quick sweep of the place, hung up the calendar, and changed my clothes. I also got the paperwork out for the interviewee.

Fumihiko joined me around 6 pm and we did a few touch up things. When the visitor came, we had a nice time. It looks like I'll have a new student starting next week.

When she left, Fumihiko and I cleaned up. I prepped for my first class tomorrow. I also made some phonic blend cards. I bought some in Sendai, but they didn't have all the ones I need. When I was finished, we picked up my bike and went for dinner.

Tonight's dinner was okonomiyaki. The restaurant is someone's house that has been converted to a restaurant. I quite like going to small restaurants as I feel our money makes more of a difference to them than it does to large chains. Anyway, this was our first visit there this year. We had curry-cheese okonomiyaki and shrimp okonomiyaki. They were both good. Afterwards we were given free coffee, so that was a nice (and surprising) way to end our meal.

We did a little driving around Tsuruoka afterwards. I wanted to see the decorated trees in front of the NHK building. We also drove by the park. They have a few trees well decorated there. Near one of the museums I saw a strange sight. There must have been 25 or more big white birds in a tree. At first I thought swans, but it wasn't swans...they don't roost in trees. It was herons. Fumihiko didn't believe me, and didn't see them because he was driving. He stopped the car and went back for a look. I don't know if he thought I was making it up or what. Anyway, he said herons!

We bought a few groceries and then came home. Fumihiko is going to cook dinner tomorrow night. I'm not sure if I should be happy or afraid!

We had a quiet evening in tonight, watching ER at 11 pm. It was setting things up for next week. I can't miss the next episode. Too exciting. One sad thing was that one of the longest major cast members just left tonight.

That was my day. It was pretty good actually. Tomorrow, back to work regular style. Wish me luck eh! Night.

No comments: