October 13, 2010

Wednesday - Sunny and warm with a little rain at night.

A good day. I got up this morning, later than I wanted, but not as late as the day before. I watched a bit of TV from yesterday and then went to work in the kitchen.

I was a cooking fool today! I made bacon, potato and hakusai soup. I started with a beef base and did a lot of peeling, chopping and parboiling in the kitchen. I was a bit tired after I did all that. I set the soup up in my slow cooker and just left it.

In the afternoon I watched more TV, both live and taped and then went out just before 5 pm to the post office. I needed to send off my book mooch. It is going all the way to Denmark.

When I came home, I cleaned up all my earlier cooking and started working on the other dish for dinner. F wanted an asparagus and bacon stir-fry, so I set up the ingredients. I had just finished when he called to say he was on his way home. I asked him if he’d take me to the main post office if he got home before 7 pm.

He did, and he did! We drove off, I didn’t even let him change his clothes. He dropped me off at the post office’s entrance and went to park. I went in, flashed my ID and got an envelope from the post office with my shiny new passport in it. It took just over 2 weeks. It probably would have been back in two weeks if not for the holiday this Monday! Yay.

After the post office run, he wanted to check out a farmer’s market place, so we drove there. They were closed, I could see it from the parking lot, but F didn’t believe me. He wanted to go in to see. I don’t know what he was thinking! We went into the building (it also houses a spa so part of it was open) and of course the farmer’s market area was closed. Men. Lovely guy for taking me to the post office, silly guy for not believing me!

We came home and in a few minutes I had dinner on the table. I had set up the coffee earlier, so all I had to do was cut the bread and toast it. I had bought a Fake French loaf last night, so wanted to make it nice and warm to go with the soup.

The soup was really good. I’m quite pleased with my veggie choices…potato, mushrooms, hakusai, onion and a tiny bit of leftover celery. The bacon, which I lightly fried before I put it in, gave a nice smoky flavour to the soup. Yum. The bread was nice too, with some butter. Simple but nice.

Our second course was the asparagus and bacon. I had put in about half an onion as well, and chopped the bacon and the onion too finely. I really should have left them in bigger pieces. However, when I fried it all together, I added in a bit of white wine vinegar and about half a teaspoon of Old style mustard. It probably should have been Dijon, but I didn’t have any. It made a nice zing to the flavour.

Dinner went down very easily for both of us and afterwards, F did the dishes.

We watched last weeks Ugly Betty and then American Idol. Tonight was the Sinatra night. Everyone did well I thought.

F went to bed earlier and I’m going to try to go soon. I’m feeling much better, but I still have a bit of a plugged up nose and a cough. Hope I make it through classes tomorrow. Wish me luck. Night!

No comments: