October 16, 2010

Saturday - Sunny and warm

An interesting day. I got up this morning at 9 on the ish and showered. F went to bed about the time I got up. Not sure what that was about. I came back from the shower, watched Gray’s Anatomy. It was sad, but since I knew from all the internet spoilers what was going to happen, I wasn’t surprised.

We left for brunch around 11 and were in the midst of eating at Gusto when F’s phone rang. It was the mother of my student, saying her daughter wasn’t feeling well and would go to the doctor. Would it be possible to put class off an hour or more? It was fine for me, so we rescheduled for later on. That meant I didn’t have to be at the school right away, so I asked F to take me to an ANA office to buy my airplane tickets to Haneda and back.

We went to the office and there we ran in to Japan at it’s finest. We could get the ticket going to Haneda, as it was 2 months today for the trip, but we couldn’t buy the return one as the flight would be in the New Year and they haven’t announced when the flights will be, or something like that. Of course that means that we can’t get the return trip ticket price, but hopefully the discount we got for buying early will help with that. In the ANA Office, F asked me when I wanted to travel to Haneda. For Pete’s sake…we’d discussed that before. He works early and since I have no other way of getting to the airport, I’d have to get him to drop me off at the airport before he went to work. My flight to Canada leaves Narita at 19:00 or 7:00pm for those of us who use real time. I’ll have a ton of time to kill in Narita after I transfer airports, but I’ll live. He suggested that I buy a ticket on the flight that leaves our local airport at 18:10. That’s a scant 50 minutes before I’d be leaving Narita. I just stared at him! I could do it if they started allowing mid-air transfers…but not sure how my suitcase would come with me. Honestly.

F dropped me off at my school and I got it ready for my day. My student came and we had a good lesson. Usually I break the lesson in the text into two lessons, but today I decided to go for it and finished it in one. I felt a lot better about the whole thing. Probably will continue to do that as long as the student is able.

I had a big gap in the middle of my classes again today. I did a bit of stuff like prepping for Halloween and doing lesson prep. F called me and invited himself over. It was nice to see him, and I kept working for a while. He got some coffee and when I had finished my filing, prepping and clearing up, got him to play a game with me. I’d bought it at the hundred yen store a while ago and it was fun. Basically it was a balancing game. There was a game board balanced on a small pole. A roll of the dice tells you which coloured peg to put on the game board. You continue until someone unbalances the board and the pieces fall off. It was simple, but fun. I’d thought about using it in class and I think I can, but I’ll have to use it wisely. F and I were good players and the board didn’t unbalance until the very end.

I shooed him out around 5 and then got ready for my last student. We had a good lesson too and then I was finished. I washed the dishes and worked on a puzzle. I solved the word puzzle and then I called F.

He picked me up and we went to Coco Ichibanya, the curry place. I had chicken and filet cutlet curry, while F had a hotplate curry. They were nice. I enjoyed mine a lot, although I felt a bit stuffed afterwards.

A quick run through a grocery store netted us some raisin bread and some butter, then we came home. We’d planned on watching a DVD, but Spiderman 2 was on and we watched that. It was fun.

At midnight I watched Top Gear, and I was surprised that F stayed awake for some of it and laughed at some of the jokes too. Cool. That was followed by House, which F went to bed on.

That’s it. I’m now up to date. Tomorrow I’m not sure what’s going to go on. Wish me luck eh? Night!

No comments: