February 10, 2011

Thursday - Cold and snowy. Bleck!

Today was mostly a good day. I got up on time, did the laundry that didn’t get done yesterday and relaxed for a bit in the morning.

In the afternoon, I was watching something on video, doing my laundry and decided to pop some popcorn in the microwave. At the same time, my washing machine started the spin cycle. All of a sudden I was surrounded by silence and darkness!

I wondered if perhaps a power line was down. I tried to check the fuse box, but it’s up high and I could barely open the lid, let along get a good look at it. I looked into the lobby of our building to see if anyone else came out, but during the day, the lights aren’t on and no one is home usually.

I settled down on the couch with my AFWJ Journal and a cup of coffee for a few minutes. It was nice and relaxing and I read quite a bit. Then, I decided to text F to see if he had heard about a power outage. He finally called me back and suggested I go outside to switch on the light in the parking lot. How come I hadn’t thought of that? I put on my boots and coat and checked it. It worked. Ah ha! It was my power that was out. Silly me.

I had to get our stepladder and set it up so I could reach the fuse box. Sure enough, the switch was off. I reset the switch and my peaceful interlude was over.

After a nice lunch I headed off to my school. I walked again today as there had been a bit of snow. It wasn’t deep, but it covered up some of the ice. When I got to my school I grabbed my shovel and cleared a bit of snow. There wasn’t that much, but it needed to be done.

I came back in after shovelling and got ready for my class. My student came and he was okay. His spelling is really terrible though, and even though I get him to write the words he misspells 5 times, he never remembers them. Should I try for ten times?

After his class, I was shocked to see a lot of snow on my walkway. Ack. I girded myself for the snow and went outside. All the work I had done earlier was covered. In the 2 hours since I had been outside, about 3 inches of snow had fallen. It was soft and light, so I could move it, but what a pain. I soon had the front and back cleared and went back inside.

I prepped for my student and when she came we had a good lesson. She made a heart for my new heart wall for Valentine’s Day, and then we got into the lesson.

After her class, I noticed there was a lot of snow outside again. Grr. I was quite busy for a while. I had to do prep for the first student’s next lesson and also a bit for Saturday. I think I managed okay.

I called F when I was finished and he came for me. Our first restaurant choice was very busy, so I tentatively suggested Marumatsu. It’s a Japanese restaurant nearish our apartment. We hardly ever go there because their food can be less than great sometimes. We went there and it was good! We both had ikura and crab don, in a set meal. It came with miso soup, pickles, chawanmushi and dessert. I have to say I was quite impressed.

We came home, watched ER and then F went to bed. He is a bit confused about tomorrow. He told me he wanted to go to his doctor, but it’s a national holiday. I think he thinks it is Friday going on Saturday, not Thursday going on Holiday Friday. Sure hope he doesn’t go to work by accident tomorrow morning!

That’s it. Got to go. Night!


JY said...

Lucky for those who get three day holiday! I get to work! Yay me....

Helen said...

If it makes you feel better, I get to work on Saturday! Yay me? :-)

Hope you have a quiet weekend :-)