October 14, 2012


Sunday - Clear but cool

Had a good day today. I slept it quite late and then got up and had a quick breakfast.  

After a while, F wanted to leave the apartment for lunch. I was miffed because I was watching Easy A and really enjoying it. It’s been a while since I saw a smart and funny teen comedy.  I didn’t get to see the end either, so please don’t tell me!

We had a quick and okay lunch at Kappa Sushi and then F headed into the hills.  I had brought along my iPod, so we had some great tunes.  As we climbed Mt. Gassan we heard a lot of lovely songs in the style of the 40’s and 50’s. It was wonderful.  At the top of the road, we got out of the car, had a few minutes to take pictures and then grab an overpriced but necessary hot tea, and then headed back down again. 
My handsome husband



Fall colours


The mountain in the distance is Mt. Chokai





We drove back to Tsuruoka.  I needed a washroom, so we went to McDonald for a drink and then decided about dinner.  We had yakiniku at a place we haven’t gone in ages.  It was quite nice.  We had a mixed plate and I had some chicken and some soup, F had soup and rice, plus we shared a veggie plate. Yum.  

We came home via the grocery store. Tomorrow night it’ll be nabe and I’m looking forward to that.  

At 9:00pm I commandeered the TV for Winter’s Bone.  I’d even marked the calendar when I heard it was going to be on as I really wanted to see it.  I grabbed my long forgotten crochet too and did a couple of rows of it.  The movie was really good.  I had no idea what was going to happen, didn’t know if a “happy” ending was even possible.  F started off not watching it, but I think he got sucked into the world as well.  Definitely a different movie featuring a great performance by Jennifer Lawrence.

I wrote up a few postcards tonight, as did F.  I also surfed the net a bit.  I’ve been looking for info about the law in Japan that foreigners have to show passports if they stay in hotels.  Well, foreigners like me, that have permanent addresses in Japan are supposed to be exempt from the rule, but when I was in Kobe, the manager of the hotel told me that he had to take a copy of my ID.  I was not best pleased and if I hadn’t heard how difficult it would be to get a hotel room that weekend would have told him to stuff his room.  The only web pages that I can see relate all the way back to 2005 or 2006. I was hoping for something more current.  I’m going to try to educate the hotel manager.  

Anyway, that’s it for me.  Tomorrow I had a day off, and hope to get out for a bit and do something.  Don’t know just what yet!  Wish me luck.  Night!

2 comments:

Crafty Tokyo Mama said...

What a beautiful area you live in! Thanks for sharing the photos!

Helen said...

Thank you! This was up on Mt. Gassan, one of the three sacred mountains that make up the Dewa Sanzen.