August 12, 2014


Tuesday - Cooler, a little rainy and overcast

A good day.

I set my alarm for 8ish this morning and actually got up.  I was a little late, but I did it.  I got dressed and went for a walk.  Yay me.  I walked to the park and then did a lap and a half before coming back home.  It was quiet and quite nice to be there.  It was threatening rain, and it was my first day, so I didn't really want to spend a lot of time on it.

I came home, checked my email and Facebook, the usual.  There was news all over Facebook this morning about Robin Williams.  I'll try and write a little more at the end of this entry about that.  I went over to the couch to watch Charmed and read the paper/have breakfast.  F called me around 10:40 and invited me out for lunch.  I told him I had to shower first, but we agreed to meet.

At a little after noon, I met my husband outside and we went to Marumatsu.  It was a little busy for lunch, but we both ordered quite quickly.  Then, we had to wait, and wait and wait.  It took ages until we got our food.  In fact, F had to wolf down his food with less than 5 minutes to spare before we left.  He was not impressed, and neither was I.  The food itself was good, but the restaurant wasn't that busy.  We drove back towards our apartment, but I told F to just let me out on the main road to save him a couple of minutes.  He did that, and I walked back home.

At home, I did some laundry, got started on today's dinner (marinating some pork) and the things I always do on the net.  I also scanned my cards and stamped and addressed them.  

I took them to the post office a little before 5 pm.  I dropped them in the box and came home.  

F was a little late tonight.  I (over)cooked the broccoli in the microwave, sauteed the pork, and put out the remains of yesterday's salad.  Dinner was quite good really.  F however was really hungry tonight.  He had rice with his meal, and then when he was finished, had ramen too.  I was quite surprised because he usually says he isn't hungry.  Still, I'm glad he had an appetite.  

We had a fairly relaxed evening.  F watched some Japanese TV.  Only some of it was annoying!  I put my headphones on and listened to some music.  I tried to make up an ever-changing playlist for my iPod.  I used to have one and it was great.  I'm not sure if I can do that with the new iTunes.

At 11 I watched The Following with was a bit freaky as always.  F has gone to bed and I should go soon too.  I'm a bit tired from this morning!

Okay…so, Robin Williams.  I'm really of two minds about him.  He was funny at times, he could act, but often didn't. He used his shtick. At times he was so over the top that the movies seemed to be about him or his character, rather than the story the writer and director wanted to tell.  I admire him for the charitable work that he did, for the genuine friendships he seemed to have, and for some of his films.  It's funny, but my favourite films of Robin Williams aren't always other people's favourites!  He was great in Good Will Hunting and Awakenings, but I liked some of his other films better.  It's an extended cameo really, but his appearance in Dead Again was surprising because it hadn't been advertised that he was in the film. Even though I shouldn't like Jumanji, I always find myself watching it, and really enjoying it when it comes on TV. 

Before I came to Japan, one of my male friends loved Robin Williams and would always make me go to see Robin's latest movie. Unfortunately, that was in the years when Robin's films weren't that good.  I saw a lot of bad films and I'm afraid that I grew to dislike Robin Williams.  It is only as I look at a list of his films that I realize that I do rather like a lot of them!  

No idea what I'll get up to tomorrow.  Come on back and find out.  Night!

No comments: