October 20, 2014

Monday - Cloudy and a bit rainy

A good day.  

I got up and F was still home.  What?  I had forgotten that he had to go to a meeting this morning and didn’t have to go in early.  He left just after I got up.  

I spent some time on my computer but I was quite worried about it.  It was acting buggy again.  Yesterday when I started it I got a strange message and today it didn’t want to start easily.  I decided to make today the day I transferred to my new computer and then I went over to the couch to have breakfast and read the paper.  

While I was reading F called to see if I’d like to have lunch with him. He was finished his meeting early.  I said it was fine but I needed a shower first.  I took care of that while he drove home and relaxed for a minute or two.

We had lunch in Bikkuri Donkey!! and it was very nice, but rather high calorie.  We had the salad plate, so we got an egg, a burger and some salad, plus deep fried squid legs.  Afterwards F drove me home and went off to work.

I came in and after cleaning off my computer desk - more or less- I got out my new computer and began the task of transferring data.  Well, it took most of the night, but….I’m getting ahead of myself.

After F called to say that he was going to be a little late, I got started on dinner.  I made a new dish tonight, Roasted Garlic Cauliflower and it was amazing!  I had found a huge cauliflower on Saturday at the Farmer’s market, so I wanted to do something big with it.  The recipe was very doable here and we both really loved it.  My computer was transferring files in the background, so I’d check on it every now and then and see, but I had to wash and cut up the cauliflower and mix it with the garlic and olive oil.  F was home in time to see some of the procedure.

I took his suggestion to serve miso soup for dinner, so we had that, plus chicken drumsticks and the lovely cauliflower.  It was very good.  Another time I might roast it a little longer, but really I liked it the way it was.  F raved about it.

After dinner I discovered that my computer was nearly done.  Finally, it said, One minute to finish.  Well….it took a lot longer than a minute.  I got tired of waiting, my old laptop was really hot and I was afraid it would give out on me sometime soon, so I asked F if I could check out what to do on his computer.  He graciously let me and I found out that this “hanging” is a common problem. I forced quit my way out of it.  Of course, none of my info had transferred, so I’d wasted hours!  

I began again, but this time I used my back up disk drive and things went swimmingly.  In fact, I wish I’d done that in the first place!  It took about 15 minutes.  

So, now, I’m on my beautiful new computer.  I’m having fun trying to get to know it.  It is a very different sort of bird from my 2007 computer, and best of all, it is so quiet!  The old one had a bad fan and was noisy, this one is whisper quiet.  Long may it stay that way.  

Anyway, it is very late and I really need to get to sleep so that I can get up and write my column.  I finally have an idea in mind and think I’ll be able to write something interesting.  Come back tomorrow and see what I get up to!  Night.

No comments: