June 4, 2016

Saturday - Sunny and hot

A good day.

This morning was a little different than my usual Saturday morning.  I woke up in a hotel.  We’d done a bunk to be honest.  This morning, the powers that be decided, was to be spent cutting grass around our apartment.  F didn’t feel like it.  I never participate in these kind of things anyway, so when he suggested a quick getaway, that’s what we did.  

F wanted to visit his doctor this morning and also his mother’s house, so he dropped me off at the Internet Cafe, and I spent a fairly relaxing couple of hours there.  I watched part of Horatio Hornblower and really enjoyed it.  Sadly, I had to leave at a very exciting, cliffhanger type of moment so I’m hoping that the programme will still be available the next time I go there.

We went to S-Mall and had some tea and discussed what to do.  It was nearly lunchtime, so we waited a bit, and then went and had lunch at the Daiichi Hotel.  Today we went upstairs to their Japanese restaurant.  We had a hambagu patty and salad, rice, chawanmushi and miso soup.  It was nice and quite reasonable and the view was pretty terrific too.  

After lunch, we bought something for a friend of mine and then we went home.  At home, I caught up with the internet, F took a nap.  

In the evening we decided to go to Mikawa and see a movie and then come home.  Before the movie, we went to Nagomi for dinner.  F had udon and tempura, I had soba and meat.  The food was good, the news was on and F was telling me all about the news.  Muhammad Ali died today, so it was a lot about him.  I have never followed boxing, so I don’t know a lot about him, F seemed to know a bit but kept asking questions about him.  While we were waiting for our food, one of my ex-students from my school came in.  It was an ex-student that I had a hard time dealing with in class because she thought she knew more than me, and that her English was better than it was.  We smiled and nodded, but as we were leaving had a little chat in that friendly innocuous way you do with people that you don’t want to be rude to, but don’t really care to renew the acquaintance.  Does that make sense?

We drove off to Mikawa and went to Mister Donut for some tea and a donut.  Well, F had coffee of course.  After a while, we walked back to the cinema and bought our tickets for Deadpool.  I have to say that I loved it!  I am not familiar with the character at all, but the breaking of the fourth wall was well done, the character was a hoot and there were so many in-jokes that I was howling with laughter.  Okay, so I was the only person in the theatre laughing at times, but so what!  F did get quite a few of the jokes too.  One particularly egregious mis-translation was Deadpool said something about Basil Fawlty and it was translated as Mr. Bean.  Say what?  Mr. Bean is miles away from Basil Fawlty!

After the movie, we visited a convenience store and then came home.  At home we relaxed for a bit, but at midnight I went to the couch for the last episode of the second series of Penny Dreadful.  It was a humdinger!  It was great.  I’ll look forward to watching it again on Wednesday if all goes well.  I did a little bit of crochet during the show.

When that finished, we both watched tonight’s So You Think You Can Dance and then turned off the TV.  F is off sleeping and I really should get some sleep too.  I didn’t have a nap this afternoon and I was up quite early for me…before 7 am!


That’s it for me.  Come back tomorrow night and see what I get up to.  Until tomorrow….

No comments: