April 27, 2017

Thursday - Sunny but cool

A busy day.

I woke up this morning before 7:00 as I have for the past couple of months.  F wasn't up.  In fact, he decided not to go to work.  His back was bothering him again.  He didn't want to leave the house until a bit after 8:00 am.  I was a tad bothered as I had things I wanted to do, but I also really wanted a bit of a lie-in!

We left after 8:00 this morning, and drove to the apartment.  There I set the DVR for my two morning shows and we went off to have breakfast at Gusto.  It was rather nice to have some peace and quiet and enjoy a slower paced morning.

We went back to the apartment, I changed into apartment cleaning clothes, and we both got busy.  F did a lot today.  He cleaned the toilet and the balcony and the shoe closets.  I cleaned the balcony first, I swept a lot of the leaves up and redid part of the window that needed it.  I also cleaned the genkan.  F had done the heavy lifting of emptying it, I did the dusting and wiping.  I also cleaned the mail box for good measure.  Really cleaned it.  

We stopped along the way for lunch, courtesy of the butcher's shop that is now a very busy restaurant.  It was good, not great today.  

We stopped working on the apartment around 7:00 pm.  We had done a lot, but there is so much more to do.  Sigh.  

We brought K a bento for her dinner, unloaded the car and then we went out again.  I suggested a Chinese place near the house so we went there.  I wasn't overly impressed tonight, but it was okay.  I had wanted more vegetables, but the dishes that F wanted didn't have that many.  

We came home after dinner and came upstairs.  We ended up having a nap for an hour or so before waking up.  We played a couple of card games.  I tried to teach F to play Blackjack, but I realized that I don't know how to play Blackjack!  Oh well, he knows the basics now, if not the exact rules.  

And that's about it.  At one point in the day, I told F that he probably worked harder in the apartment than he would have at work.  It might be true!  He is still in a lot of pain, but the better weather today may have helped him a bit.  

Tomorrow I'll be back to the apartment.  I plan to wash walls again and perhaps pack up more of the things I've been using in the apartment.  I should also clean the fridge and toss any remaining outdated stuff.  There really isn't much though.  

Come back later if you want and see what I get up to.  Until tomorrow….


Orchid64 said...

Cleaning out an apartment is insanely hard, especially if you've been there for a long time. I pretty much gave up on making ours look clean because, after 23 years, there had been so much wear and damage (largely from natural decay and some mold), but that was okay because I think the landlord was just happy not to have to gut it every 3-5 years had multiple tenants moved around (which is what they tend to have to do).

You mentioned cleaning out the fridge. Did your refrigerator come with the apartment? In the U.S., that's almost always the case (fridge, stove, and in some cases a dishwasher), but in Japan, that was very rare.

Good luck!

Helen said...

No, as per most Japanese apartments, we bought our own fridge, but to move it, it should be empty. I prefer to leave it in good condition too as I really like the fridge and may use it again!

Yes, we've been there more than ten years and there is mould (was quite shocked how much) and damage from just living there. I hope the landlord (the Prefecture) won't be too upset with the place. We have so much stuff and even though I purged a bit, my husband didn't. He wanted to keep everything...and I do mean everything! ACK.

Thanks for visiting.