July 5, 2017

Wednesday - Cloudy, then sunny

A sad day.

Before I get into my update, I’d just like to mention that today I found out that I lost a relative.  She was a lovely person, she was my father’s cousin. She was in her nineties and as far as I know, she lived a good life.  She could talk the hind leg off a donkey, would tell anyone who listened about her husband’s family or her friends, even if the person had no idea who the people in question were.  In recent years, she had health problems, but for all her age was as sharp as a tack and remarkably cheerful and spry.  I am fortunate to have known her and I will miss her dearly.

One memory before I move on. In 1979, I was a teenager living on my family’s farm. She invited me to come and stay with her and her husband for a weekend to celebrate my birthday.  She took me to see a couple of movies and it was one of the best weekends for me ever at that age.  We went to see The Electric Horseman with Robert Redford and Jane Fonda and also Kramer vs. Kramer with Dustin Hoffman and Meryl Streep.  Going to the movies in the big city was such a treat for me then (and now!) and it really was a perfect way to celebrate. 

On with the other parts of my day.  I got up this morning with F and got him to drop me off at the Internet Cafe.  I spent a pleasant time there, drank much too much coffee, had breakfast and then headed out to the mall.  

I met my friend and we went to her apartment, where she made me lunch.  We had pakora, which I’m not sure if I ever had before. It was slightly spicy, but really nice.  After lunch, we got down to the serious business of crocheting!  It was very enjoyable.

She drove me back to the mall and I hacked around for a bit.  I didn’t buy very much, I did have some ice cream that I shouldn’t have, but it was nice. I went into Doutor and had an iced coffee and waited for F to finish work.  While I was there, I checked my email and found a message from my sister about our relative.  I knew she wasn’t doing terribly well, but I always hoped I would be able to see her again.  Thankfully, I had seen her the last time I was in Canada, and we stayed in touch, so I don’t have too many regrets.

F called to say he was finished work and picked me up at the mall. I told him about my relative and he was sad about it too.  He’d met her a couple of times in Canada.

We went to the post office to send my niece’s present to her.  That took a little time and a bit of money.  After that, we went for dinner to Coco’s.  I had chicken which was good, F had a donburi of tuna, egg and avocado.  He was upset with the avocado, it wasn’t ripe and he couldn’t eat some of it.  I think he should have just complained about it to the waitress instead of being a bit whiny.  Mind you, I’d be upset in his shoes too, but I would have asked him to complain for me!

We bought a few groceries and then came back to the house.  I did a little crochet, but F fell asleep quite early.  I watched some TV and then I decided to get some sleep and go to bed!

So, that’s it for me.  A sad day, but I have some wonderful memories of my relative and I will always cherish those. 

Until tomorrow….


Rosa said...

I'm so sorry for your loss, Helen. It's good that you have some nice memories of your relative to look back on and that you saw her on your last visit and stayed in touch. Even though it sounds like she had a good, long life, there is always sadness at a time like this.

Helen said...

Thank you! Yes, she did have a long life and I think it was good. I will miss her though. She would always remember my birthday with a card and I will miss that a lot going out from here.

Thank you for visiting today.