March 11, 2018

Sunday - Sunny, cold and then rainy

A good day.

I slept in today, much later than I meant to.  I woke up once around 9, again at 11 and finally got up after 1am.  I got a leg cramp immediately after I got up, and expected F to help me with it, but he wasn’t there.  Ack!  I was so surprised. I thought he was in bed as he’d left the bedclothes in a huge mound. 

I got dressed and we decided to go out.  F and I had talked about going to Cafe Irodori for lunch and he was okay with it.  Then, he told me that his mother wanted to come too.  Okay.  I wasn’t too happy and didn’t know if she’d like it or not, but thought it was fine.  We were planning to go out to the Mikawa Mall after lunch as I needed to have my coat taken in for repairs.  We were nearly at the point where we had to turn or go straight to the restaurant when I suggested that we just go to the mall for lunch.  I wasn’t sure that K would like the food at Irodori, and there were more choices at the mall.  

We drove to the mall, parked and went to a soba restaurant there.  I wasn’t too pleased in all honesty as I’m so over Japanese food these days but kept my mouth shut.  We had a pretty decent lunch and then walked along the mall to the mending store.  I led K there, F had to go to the bank machine.  He caught up to us before we got to the shop.  However, all of us needed the washroom at this time.  No worries, there was one right beside us.  

K handed F her bag.  He just looked at it, after all, he planned to use the washroom too!  He decided to wait.  I went into the ladies at the same time as K, there were a few stalls open.  I was a little bemused when K took off her coat and handed it to me! Do I look like a coat check worker?  She went and closed the door, I found a stall and hung up her coat and my coat that I was taking in to be fixed, did my thing and went out to wash my hands.  

She was out there waiting for me and kind of wanted her coat back before I was ready. It was a comedy of sorts.  I had to point out the hand dryer to her as she wasn’t used to the place.  Anyway, we were all fine, but it was quite funny in a way.

F and I talked to the lady at the mending shop and since I’d been there once before with the coat, she knew what we wanted.  She checked on the colours of the zipper that we wanted and had to special order it.  It’ll be about 3 weeks for the zipper to arrive.  Good thing winter is almost over or I’d freeze!  We paid and then did a little shopping.  K got herself a pair of pyjamas, I did a little scoping out of clothes for my BFF. I told F I needed to come back without his mother someday. Unfortunately, she doesn’t have a lot of stamina for walking, so we have to do things on her time.  

I suggested that we go downstairs and have a coffee and a doughnut at Mr Donut, so we did.  Trying to get F to take care of his mother is sometimes really hard.  She took a shopping cart into the food area for support but was close to crashing it into people.  I wanted her to choose a doughnut and then sit down, F seemed to want her to wait in line with him.  I wasn’t waiting in line with him, why should his mother? 

We had a nice coffee and snack, only K decided she didn’t want her doughnut right then, so we wrapped it up for her and she put it in her bag. I sent F off to get the car and meet us at the closest door for K. It was raining now and she was quite tired.  
Things worked quite well.  We took her back to the house and she seemed quite happy.  F and I had a bit of a rest too, and we decided to go out at 6:30 and have dinner.

When 6:30 came along, the two of us drove out to Cafe Irodori and had an okay meal.  We both ordered meals off the menu that had to be specially made for us.  I really like this place, but the food just isn’t as great as it should be. I had Tandori chicken, but it was more like grilled chicken with a few random spices on top.  I LOVE tandoori chicken, have even made it a couple of times myself and mine was so much better.  Also, I would have loved to have it served with bread rather than rice.  Oh well.  F kind of liked his pho but said he’d had better.  I’m wondering if it was just because we came late in the day or if we are expecting their “ethnic” foods to actually taste “ethnic” rather than the watered down versions of other people’s cuisine for Japanese people.

When we finished we left the restaurant and made a quick detour. We’d noticed a couple of nights ago that a new grocery store had opened in Tsuruoka.  We went to check it out.  While it was interesting, it really wasn’t that much different than the ones we already have, and it didn’t have any import foods that I noticed.  We probably would only go there if we had a reason since the hours aren’t any better than our regular places.  

Next on the to-do list was go to the onsen. Yes, F talked me into going on a Sunday night.  It was quite nice, to be honest, not busy at all on my side.  I like going to the onsen, but there are a ton of things I’d rather do than take public baths.  Maybe I need to let loose my inner Roman? I sat in the rotenburo for a few minutes and just enjoyed being outdoors and warm.  

After the bath, we were supposed to go to karaoke and to do him credit, F said he’d go, but I thought it was a bit crazy. It was 10 pm and he has to work tomorrow, so said that we’d go another time.  

We did stop at MaxValu for a few things. I needed yogurt and salad, we got some drinks and even found a new bottled coffee-style drink with no caffeine. It’s an orzo drink, which I quite liked when I had it at Doutor a few years ago.  

We came back to the house and had a fairly quiet evening.  It turned into a nice day after all.  F is snoozing, I need to get some sleep soon too as I have to get up early tomorrow.  

Oh, and yes, if you are counting, it is the seventh anniversary of the Tohoku Earthquake.  You can read my blog entry for the day here if you like.  

Come back later and see what I get up to on Monday.  Until tomorrow….

No comments: