June 22, 2009 - Monday

Cloudy then rainy. Muggy.

Today was a good day. It surprised me actually. In the morning I got up, drank coffee and re-watched Hitman. It wasn't good, but there were points of promise. The Hitman character was interesting. A very violent movie though. I also watched the two shows I had taped on Saturday night. They were fine.

In the afternoon I decided to go to the bank. I had to pay my resident tax to the city. That meant it had to be done before 3 pm. I took a quick shower and headed out. I discovered just as I was about to cycle away that it was raining so I darted back into the apartment and grabbed my pink raincoat.

I got to the bank in time, did my payment and even got the teller to fix my bank book. Hurray. After that, I headed off to S-Mall. I had lunch at Patio. I had herb chicken and lettuce pasta. It was very nice. I didn't think it would be, but it was. After that, I visited the hundred yen shop and bought a few things for the school, then went to Doutors and had a drink. While I was drinking my vanilla latte I re-worked my column. I've taken it in a whole new direction, and frankly, I'm much happier with it than the bit I wrote on Saturday. This column basically deals with the work of just one actor.

I came home around 5:15 and then F was home a bit later. He wasn't late today, although he thought he would be. After a bit of a laze around, I suggested going to the craft store.

The airconditioning that is used in summer is hard on F's neck, so he asked me to make him a clapochet to wear when he's out. I'm not sure that he will use it, but I'm making him one now. We got some gorgeous yarn at the store. It's cotton and acrylic.

After buying the yarn, we sat in the car and discussed dinner. F wanted yakiniku, but I didn't, then he wanted soba, but I didn't. I really wasn't hungry as my lunch was quite late. Finally we decided on the Grand El Son. We went, and the first thing we discovered was they had a set menu course that was nice sounding and quite reasonable in price. We had that. It was lovely. We had dadacha-mame soup (our local edamame), pasta with beef ragout and veggies, dessert and there was another beginning course too. It was lovely, but afterwards I was too full. Sigh.

We went to the grocery store near the restaurant. They are one of the only places I can get sunflower seeds. We got makings for tomorrow's dinner. F wanted yakinku, so we'll have it tomorrow. I'm not terribly keen, I think it's too hot, but didn't want to argue with him much.

We came home, and after a little while, hubby went to bed. I was shocked. He didn't even stay up to watch American Idol. He did record it though. I watched the whole thing with headphones on, and started his clapochet. I got about 11 rows done plus I had to roll the skein into a ball first. That took a while.

The Clapochet Mark II


And that was my day. Tomorrow, my first class cancelled, so I have a little bit longer at home. I have lots to do, between my computer, my column and now my crocheting. Wish me luck with it all. Night!

4 comments:

Sherry said...

That yarn lovely. It might be good for socks for little boy feet. What is the weight on it? It looks like sport's weight from the picture, but hard to tell.

Helen said...

How do I find the weight? I think it's 4 ply and doesn't have any give. They recommend 4/0 - 6/0 needles for knitting.

Sherry said...

Weight is based on the thickness of the yarn and the gauge. Generally yarn with around 24 stitches for every 4 inches(10 cm?) is considered sport's weight. Of course, when used the gauge ends up varying person to person, but it is listed on the label as sort of an "ideal" I guess. On a Japanese label it will have "Gauge" in katakana then say something like 22rows and 26 stitches, or something like that. I think in American it will just say "sports weight" and so forth on the label, but I can't remember.

That isn't a very good explanation, but ....

Helen said...

No, that's a big help. The stitch gauge is 20 rows/ 10 stitches, if it follows the same pattern as yours. (No katakana ;-( )

Isn't it odd, the cheap 100 yen yarn I used before had so much more info and English on it than the nice Japanese stuff!