December 24, 2012

Monday - snowy - didn’t go out

A good day!

I got up a bit late for me on a week day. I really wanted to be up earlier to make us something to eat, but I overslept.  F went over to his mother’s home after I was up to take her shopping and such.  I showered and then started my mini-quiche.F came back before I was finished, but it was okay. I had put him to clearing the table earlier. He cleared the coffee table and I had actually meant the kitchen table, but he did a good job and it was a good mistake to make.  When they were done, we had the mini-quiche and opened our presents. 
Mini-Quiche, big yum

We did quite nicely.  We went out yesterday and basically picked what we wanted, so I gave F a wallet, some socks and a bath bomb.  He didn’t pick that one, it was a surprise!  I got some socks from F, and some books will arrive tomorrow for me.  I also opened the present from my best friend and found a couple of travel mugs, some low-cal drink mix, a new shirt and a hot water bottle.  All lovely things.

After presents, F and I had a bit of a nap and didn’t get up again until he was supposed to go and get the chicken!  When he left, I got started on making dinner.  I raised the coffee table and set it, and was just going to start on my salad when F came back.  He relaxed for a while, but as my salad was taking an age, I asked him to help.  The chicken was precooked, but I’d planned some mashed potatoes from a box and some gravy from a packet I’d brought from Canada.  I asked him to make the potatoes so he did.  The box was Japanese and I had no idea how to make them so though it would work.  He did his stuff and let them sit for 4 minutes.  Then I asked if he’d do the gravy too.  My plan was that he’d use the microwave and make it that way. It was simple and I could oversee it if necessary. 

My salad was finished.  I thought I’d do up some of the dishes. I noticed that F was stirring the mashed pot like a crazy man but it didn’t look right. It had the consistency of wallpaper paste.  He took the gravy out of the microwave and it too was rather thin.  I looked at the bowl of gravy and noticed that it looked like it had too much water in it.  Sure enough, F examined the measuring cup he’d used and noticed that he’d got the wrong measures.  He’d put almost double the amount of water in the gravy and done a similar thing to the potatoes.  Ack!

Luckily I had a second package of gravy, but not the same kind.  I got him to combine it with the bowl of gravy.  He did that, and it started to get much better!   

With the potatoes, I wasn’t sure.  I thought I could make potato pancakes with the mix, so I spooned some into another bowl and added an egg and some flour.  I mixed them and then fried them.  They made small pancakes that were actually quite nice with gravy.  Whew!  Talk about a “Make it work” moment.  Poor F was so sorry.  I think he’d never made potatoes from a box before!

We ate our dinner with some Peartiser to drink and had a great meal. 

The gravy at the back and the potato pancakes on the right!
  We were watching the Lethal Weapon movies which were on WOWOW today and they were rather fun.  Dinner was great.  I made more pancakes halfway through and F did the dishes afterwards.  

We took a break for a while and watched a bit more telly.  I printed some nengajo for F and then baked my persimmon crumble for our dessert.  We had that with ice cream and it was yummy.  

It was a nice Christmas, fairly low stress.  It’s too bad that we couldn’t have it ON Christmas, but F has to work tomorrow.

Sorry to be so long winded.  Anyway, I’m sure you’re not reading, hopefully you are all having a Merry Christmas with your family or friends. Good night!

No comments: