September 6, 2017

Wednesday - Cloudy and Rainy

An okay day.

My first memory this morning was being awakened by my noisy husband.  Sigh. It was something like 5 a.m. Of course, I really woke up and had to make a trip downstairs. I went back to sleep afterwards and tried not to think mean thoughts.

I woke up again with my alarm at 7:15, F got up eventually and I said a sleepy goodbye to him.  I dragged myself out of bed before 8 and had some tea and watched the news. I had breakfast with K this morning too, a little bit late because I was blogging postcards, but still. She actually wasn’t around when I first went down, but came out in time to get something to eat.  

I did make a sad discovery when I was doing the dishes afterwards. My lovely green bowl that F bought for me last year has a big crack in it. I am quite upset. I am thinking that I could contact the company and get another one, but it wouldn’t be the same.  I wonder how it happened.

After breakfast, I watched some stuff on the DVR and got a couple of texts from F. One was to tell me that he’d booked some days off, the other was to say that he’d take off the afternoon.  I texted him to find out if he wanted to have lunch with me or not. He texted back to say that he did. I let K know that I wasn’t going to have lunch today and tried to tell her that F was coming home, but she didn’t really understand what I meant!

F came back and we went out and tried a new restaurant for us. It’s actually a new restaurant and it was interesting. When we arrived, they only had three dishes left, keema curry with chicken, spicy jerk chicken, and pork nankotsu stew. I had the two chicken dishes with genmai rice, F had the spicy jerk chicken and the pork. We liked the food, but thought the dishes had too much salt in them. We’ll likely come out again and give it another try.  
 View from the restaurant.  It looks like Alberta except that isn't wheat! It is rice.

We drove back to Tsuruoka and went to the Internet Cafe for a few hours.  It was okay. We both had massaging chairs and entertained ourselves.  I watched the news and then some YouTube.  I did a little knitting and a little relaxing.  After 3 hours I checked with F, but he wanted to stay longer.  After 4 hours I was ready to go!

We had a bit of a difficult conversation about dinner tonight. I wanted pasta or something that I like (as in non-Japanese) for a change, but since F’s stomach isn’t doing well, it wasn’t going to happen. I suggested a place, he’d suggest another one, and so on.  Finally, he settled on one of my first suggestions, Hana. We went there. He had raw fish, I had chicken cutlet. It was fine, but I really didn’t want so much food.  

After dinner we bought a few groceries and dinner for K. We came back to the house and eventually upstairs.  I took a shower and then tried to watch Grey’s Anatomy. I did get to watch it but wasn’t able to hear a lot of it because my husband decided that he should get out a quilt for his side of the bed. It included dropping heavy objects on the floor, rustling plastic, talking over my programme and just generally being a PITA. The thing is, I know from past experience that if I ask him to be quiet he’ll blow up at me, so I just kept my mouth shut, but rolled my eyes so much they could have been in a fitness class. I did get a few of my poncho’s ends darned in. Yay!

He went to bed at midnight, I’m still up of course. I’m not sure what I’ll get up to tomorrow.  Come back in a bit and see what happens. Until tomorrow….

2 comments:

Rosa said...

That's bad news about your bowl! I know, from making them, that they can crack for so many reasons, temperature changes, weakness from absorbing moisture (usually from dishwater) through the unglazed surfaces, a slight knock to the rim...
Have you thought about getting F to find a kintsugi artist to repair the crack? I'm sure it's not cheap, but it might be worth it for a bowl that has an important meaning to you.

Helen said...

Thanks, Rosa, that's a good idea. I think I can use it for a little while yet, although I'll stop putting it in the microwave. I think the crack probably happened in the dish drainer...maybe someone thought I should put the bowl away instead of leaving it to air dry? In any case, if it is as easy to do as you say, I will chalk it up to an accident by unseen forces and not blame anyone.

I'm not sure that the bowl is worth a kintsugi repair, but it is a nice idea! I think I still have the artist's card, it might be cheaper to just order a new one. I was upset though, now I'm trying to be more zen about it!

Thanks for visiting.