February 12, 2008 - Tuesday

Rainy in the daytime, snowy at night.


A strange day, and I don't just mean the weather!

Morning happened, like it usually does, except before the news came on I started a load of my laundry. Then, when the news was on, the doorbell rang. I debated not answering it, but finally did. It was a man from the post office, delivering my birthday present from my sister. I finished watching the news and opened the box up. It had been opened by Japanese Customs....colour me so surprised! I got a new tube of deodorant (not a present, a request!), a pair of pants and a new skirt. I was a bit leary about the skirt, as I almost never wear them anymore, but it fitted well, and I think looked rather cute! I also got a bunch of envelopes from my bank in Canada.

I continued doing laundry for most of the morning/early afternoon. I had a lot to do. I watched some of the TV I taped when I was in Sendai, and enjoyed it. Then, I made my lunch and got ready for work.

It had rained a bit today which had cleared a lot of the snow. I was a bit worried that it might be too slippery to ride, but it wasn't. I walked a bit of our driveway, but then was able to ride most of the way to the drugstore, and then my school. At the school I had to do a bit of shovelling. Some of the snow that my husband had put down last night to melt didn't.

I had a lot to do before class today. I had to fold the clean towels, unpack the order of books I received, clean the room a little, change my clothes, set up the coffee machine (for hot water), and put away any stray teaching or personal materials. Whew. I did it, just.

The first lesson went well. The student is a dream to teach. We were learning actions today and it was fun. I trust this student quite a bit, so we used realia and it was much more interesting for him. He left a couple of minutes late and then the doorbell rang.

I checked the monitor and it was a man in a uniform. A police officer to be exact. Oh boy. Now what? I went to the door and we tried to have a conversation, but it was difficult. It was really cold outside, snow was blowing and he was trying to give me some paper to fill out. I invited him in, so he came and stood in my genkan. We had a half English/half Japanese conversation. I think he was just checking who lived in the apartments. Well, I don't live there! Through the use of my gaijin card (I offered, he didn't ask for it) and my business card, I think he understood that I don't live there, I just work there. He seemed happy, gave me a paper with his name and a phone number for his police station and left.

The rest of my hour was filled by doing things like setting up for my other class, and doing paperwork. I was going to go out and check the parking space, but I didn't have time.

My students came and we all had a good class. It was fun and my students had to work hard to satisfy me!

After class, they left and I cleaned up. I did dishes, checked next lesson stuff and also more paperwork. There's never an end to it! I called my husband and asked him to come and get me. I also made the mistake of telling him about the police officer's visit.

When he arrived, he basically wanted to know what the policeman wanted. I told him, but for some reason he wanted to go charging into the police station. I told him that if he wanted to do that, he could, but please drop me off at home. At home, I started to prepare for dinner, but someone got on his high horse, refused dinner and then stormed out. He returned an hour or so later, only to give me the silent treatment before shutting himself in the bedroom. I am not sure what he's on about. The police officer was fine. Husband keeps saying things like "If someone asks for your school, they should be able to tell them." Huh? Who on earth would ask the police about an English School?

For some reason, husband isn't going to work tomorrow so I'll likely have a grumpy-grouch playing couch potato all day. I thought he was going to take my stuff to the tax department but I have no idea if that will happen anymore or not.

Anyway, that's it for me. Think good thoughts for me for tomorrow. Night night!

3 comments:

Perogyo said...

They're supposed to go around once a year and check out all the residents, register them, and make sure they know where the nearest koban and emergency gathering points are. Rather nice, I think- kind of community minded! Keeps them from drinking tea on my tax bill, anyway.

On Feb. 20 last year a police officer showed up at our place for their annual check, but I couldn't talk to him since I was in labour. He asked how many people lived there- I said 2, but by tomorrow there would be 3! He was kind of shocked, I think, especially since Midori was standing behind me with a giant knife (because she was kind enough to cut up my carrots for munchies!).

Helen said...

That's funny!

I think it was just that basic too, but my hubby doesn't. He's still insisting that we go to the Koban to introduce my school. Whatever that means!

Nice to see you here Medea, I do read your blog, but rarely comment these days. Sorry :-(

Anonymous said...

Never had a visit. I suppose i should count myself lucky. :-) And the policeman at our Koban which is two stations away in the first place, is really very unhelpful, even when we went twice to report loss of a mobile phone, and the other time, to report a stolen wallet (my husband's). *sigh!*

A good night's sleep makes a lot of difference, so perhaps things will be right as rain tomorrow for you.

Hugs.
-KC