October 24, 2008 - Friday

Rainy with thunderstorms.

Today wasn't the greatest of days. It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't one of the best I've had so far this month.

I got up early, but didn't feel all that well. I had a long long nap on the couch. I got up and showered and then went on with my day. I watched Ashes to Ashes again. I really like it. I wish I could have seen the original show.

The 4400 was on this afternoon, so I watched it and a little later headed off to the school. It had rained most of the day, but didn't look too bad when I left. Well, by the time I got to the school I was soaked. The rain had really come on strong. There were places that I didn't think could get wet while I was fully dressed that did get wet. When I got to the school I parked my bike and went inside. I hung up my wet clothes in the bathroom and got ready for the day.

It was a good thing that I was ready a little earlier than usual because my student showed up 15 minutes too early. I'm not sure why his grandmother dropped him off early, but I was none too pleased. I wouldn't start his lesson early and I needed a few minutes to finish getting ready. Our actual class went quite well, and I even gave him a quiz which he aced.

After class, I did my paperwork and then I got ready for my next class. The student cancelled again, just before class time. I read for a bit and then called my husband. There was no answer. I hadn't heard from him by 8:20 so I decided to just go home.

Going home tonight was a bit complicated. My bike light's batteries had died, so I had to replace them. The spares were in the school. I went back in to get them. My clothes were still wet, so it was uncomfortable wearing them. I finally got everything done and set off. I got quite wet on the way home too, but it was an uneventful ride, thankfully.

When I arrived at the apartment, I changed into my pyjamas and checked email. Fumihiko called at 9:00pm wondering where I was. He'd been at his mother's again, and didn't get my message.

When he came home I made dinner. Tonight we had ginger pork, salad, veggies and chawan mushi. It was good actually.

The rest of the evening was quiet. We watched Spiderman 3 on the TV and after that I've been watching multiple episodes of Sex and the City. It's interesting, funny, but a little too smug for me. Still, I keep watching it.

Tomorrow my one and only class has cancelled, so I don't know what I'm going to do.

That's it, I'm out of here. Night night.

2 comments:

Orchid64 said...

Throughout October, I've had a lot more cancellations than usual (about 6 hours this month out of 40 scheduled hours of teaching). This is partly due to the fact that the leaves won't just look at themselves so days must be taken to travel around Japan and watch them change color and the closing of books in early October.

I asked you about this before, but do you still not charge for late cancels? Your one student sounds like she is pretty regular with the cancellations.

Helen said...

Actually Orchid64, I do charge for late cancellations, so this student is getting charged every week.

She's so busy that I feel tired when I hear what she's doing. She's a full time company worker (in her husband's company) and she's working on her Master's degree as well. She often takes business trips out of the country.

When this student signed up I told her about my cancellation policy and she was fine with it.(Basically private students have to contact me by 9:00 pm the night before to get a make-up lesson.)

The leaves are quite beautiful this time of year, my husband and I went out to look at them a couple of weeks ago....but we didn't cancel anything to go and see them. :-)

As always, thanks for visiting.