May 25, 2009 - Monday

Sunny, then cloudy with a little rain.

Didn't really have an exciting day today so thought I'd just share a few bits and bobs from the last few weeks that I haven't blogged about.

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished!
Last month after Fumihiko came home from the hospital it was cherry blossom season. One day he took me out on a drive to look at the blossoms and we wound up near the Akagawa river. We went for a walk under the trees and I spotted something on the ground. It was a camera memory disk. I have one for my camera, but mine has much less memory. There was a guy nearby with a snazzy camera so we asked if it was his, but it wasn't. I took it home with me that night. I tried it in my camera first. I could see some of the photos, but the screen is very small. I tried putting it onto my computer, and then we could see the photos. They were mostly of buildings, so Fumihiko thought that the disk might belong to a builder or architect. Then, I found a photo of a group of people and he knew who one of the people was. Anyway, to cut this long tale a bit, we got the disk back to the owner. It was a woman. Being Japanese, she sent Fumihiko some pickles. Then, hubby's sister spent last night sending him emails to get him to call the lady back to say thank you. He doesn't know her and he doesn't know her phone number.

And I'd just like to point out to everybody that _I_ found the darn thing in the first place, so shouldn't _I_ be getting the present?

Foreigner Bonanza
So far in May I have met and talked with 9 other foreigners. It's a huge number for just one month. I'm really quite surprised. Today, Fumihiko and I were walking to the park when we bumped into the Mormon Missionaries on their way to the park. We stood and chatted for a few minutes.

Tenjin Matsuri

Today is the Tenjin Matsuri. There was a parade, but I didn't go. After his work, Fumihiko asked me if I wanted to go and see the shops so I said sure. We walked to the park and had fun looking at all the junk on offer. As usual there were lots of foods there. There was one stall that I was tempted to buy from, as they were selling Donairs. I haven't had one in years. It looked pretty authentic too. Fumihiko offered to go back and get me one, but I declined. May be silly, but I'm too afraid of getting food poisoning or something to risk it. I can't eat the same way I did when I was younger.

Tidbits
Fumihiko has started making us iced coffee to drink again. That's a sure sign that it's almost summer. However, it was quite cold today!

American Idol has finished and the winner's name is plastered everywhere on the internet. It's very annoying considering that the channel we're watching it on is close to the beginning.

Anyway, speaking of American Idol, I'm going to go and watch it now. I might finish off my clapochet too tonight. I could use it tonight, it's still cool.

So that's it. Consider yourself having read my blog. Got to go. Idol is on in 4 minutes. Bye!

3 comments:

Kelly said...

Yeah strange she gave him the pickles not you, though maybe she felt that if she gave them to you she would have to speak english.

What is a donair?

Helen said...

I think because we used Fumihiko's family to pass on the disk it was thought that HE found the disk. The owner works with his sister's husband or something odd like that.

In any case neither of us really wanted a reward anyway. I would be devastated if I lost my camera disk, especially if it was after one of my vacations. I sort of believe in doing this kind of thing out of the goodness of my heart.

Donair...mmm. It's some kind of grilled meat. It's on a rotissary and they shave bits off, put them in a pita bread with some spicy dip and some yogurty dip and then you eat it. It's sooo good. I'd never seen one before in Japan...they're popular in Canada.

Kelly said...

Ahh ok, we call that "dona kebab" in Aus. haha :)