December 12, 2011

Monday - Rainy and cold

A good day. We got up this morning and went and had breakfast in our hotel. Where were we? We had gone to Sakata to attend a Scandinavian Dinner at one of the hotels there. We were able to stay overnight in the hotel too, so F could relax and have a drink with his meal.

The dinner at The Hotel Rich and Garden was gorgeous. There was all kinds of food, including Homard in a curry sauce, some delicious soup, some lovely Yonezawa beef and the finale was a simple rice pudding. It was a little different from the rice pudding I grew up with, it was chewier. Very nice though. There was quite a bit of alcohol and I had some for a change. I really liked the Bellini, an Italian cocktail and for a change I had some red wine with the beef course. It was quite nice, although I really am not much of a drinker. The chef came over to talk to me a few times as I think he was a bit lonely or overwhelmed by all the Japanese-ness of the hall! A nice surprise was bumping into the other AFWJ lady that I know in Sakata. She was at the dinner too, so she got to meet my hubby. I couldn’t meet hers as he couldn’t come that night.

Anyway…today. Breakfast was okay in the hotel. I thought the eggs were terrible and gave up on them. I don’t like scrambled eggs that taste like sulphur. Apart from that, most things were fine. F got to have a fairly Japanese breakfast including natto so he was happy.

When we checked out, we drove over to the Yamaya to have a look at foreign food. I got a few things for Christmas and dinner over the next couple of nights. Some things looked good, but I didn’t get them.

We drove towards Tsuruoka and made a long stop in Mikawa Shopping Center. F bought me my Christmas Present and I bought him one of his, so I guess it was a good trip! We looked at movies, but the only one playing in the next while was about people getting sick and since I think I’m getting sick, decided to pass! We bought some bread on the way out. Toast for tomorrow! Yay.

We came home for a while and then went out for lunch at Cocos. It was fine, then after a brief swing by my school to set the heater, we came home again. We were both on computers until I decided to take a nap. It was a bit long and I was surprised when F woke me up wanting dinner. We ended up at a Gyudon shop. It wasn’t the nicest meal, but it was okay. I really didn’t want anything too exotic after the lovely meal last night.

We came home via the grocery store. F watched some fighting stuff, then I watched a British detective show. It was rather nice.

Tomorrow we’re both back at work. I’ve got a few things to do before I leave for the school and I won’t be able to do them unless I go to bed right NOW! Night!

No comments: