December 16, 2012


Sunday - rainy but warmish

A good day.  

We were both woken up this morning by F’s mother calling at 10 am.  She was summoning him to take her shopping for a new pair of boots.  He went, but left me in charge of the bread machine.  Although I tried to go back to sleep, I couldn’t.  I got up and watched a bit of TV and read email and blogs.  

At 11 I stopped the bread maker and took the loaf out.  I couldn’t get it out of the pan, and that is where I was when F came home.  He took over and then had some of the bread.  I went back to bed, and slept a bit longer.  

I got up around 12, had a shower and then was in a better mood.  We decided to go out for lunch.  I suggested a couple of places, so we ended up at one of them, Cafe Pacific Airy Heights.  We both had grilled chicken, although we had different sides and drinks.  It was a lovely lunch.

After that, we drove to Mikawa to the shopping centre.  The mall was insanely crowded.  I really don’t like it like that.  We bought our tickets and as we had time, did a little shopping before the show.  Didn’t buy anything.  Came back to the theater, bought our drink and popcorn and went to enter the theater.  We were told that the theater that we were going to had no heating today.  Yikes!  They gave us each a chemical heating patch, and directed us to take a blanket if we needed it.  We found our seats and made our washroom trips.  I took off my fleecy shirt that I wear as a sweater, put it over my knees with a theater blanket on top of that.  I put my coat back on and hoped for the best! My coat is a good warm, Canadian one, so I wasn’t too worried about myself.  

With all that, you’d wonder if I could enjoy the movie.  Well, I did.  We went to see The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey and I loved it.  The song that the Dwarves sing at the beginning is still playing in my head.  It was fun, exciting and generally a good time.

After the movie, F was Jonesing for dinner.  I didn’t want to go to his suggested places, so I suggested going for okonomiyaki.  It was a good suggestion.  We drove to the restaurant and had a fun meal cooking for ourselves.  

We drove back to Tsuruoka, and F watched election results.  Worse than that, he kept telling me about the results!  I really didn’t care.  I can’t vote here.

We had a quiet evening apart from the election results.  Still, it was important for F, so I’m glad that he got to see them.  There was one bad thing though.  I’d served up the last of the crumble with some tea.  F had his cup next to his computer on the coffee table.  He got up to go to the kitchen, stumbled over the computer cord and it moved the computer.  His cup went flying, as did the tea in it.  The cup broke, the tea was all over the floor, but apart from that, everything was okay. No damaged computer.  Or husband.  We’re both sad about the cup. I bought it for F a few years ago as a birthday present.  It was a handmade cup, and the store where I got it has since closed.  Sigh.  He liked it a lot. It was quite a manly mug, and it suited him.  

Well, apart from that, it was a good day.  Tomorrow I’m out of the apartment early for a date with a friend, if all goes well.  Wish us luck!  Night.

3 comments:

Crafty Tokyo Mama said...

I'm rather surprised they kept the theater in operation even when the heater was broken. Isn't it snowy up where you are?? Maybe people are hardier than down here in the temperate zone and just accept it as part of the package of living in snow country? I would expect either a discount or a different theater as I go to the theater in the summer to cool off and in the winter to warm up!

Crafty Tokyo Mama said...

Forgot to say that your hubby really lucked out that his computer wasn't damaged by flying tea. It is a shame that his special cup broke though.

What does "Jonesing for dinner" mean? I've never heard that expression.

Helen said...

It is a little snowy where we are, but right now, the weather is quite good. Most of the snow we had last week has melted. It was cold, but not freezing in the theater. Some of us are hardy...On the other hand, they only have one show a day of The Hobbit in English, so they'd miss out on a lot of money if they didn't show it yesterday!

And yes, F was darn lucky that his tea didn't wreck his computer. After making sure he was okay, that was my second concern!

Jonesing for something is craving something. It used to refer to drug addicts needing their next fix, but now other people use it to talk about something they want quite badly.

A better sentence for F would be, "He was Jonesing for his next bowl of ramen." Bah ha ha!

Thanks for visiting :-)