February 11, 2019

Monday - Clear then snowy at night

I woke up first around 9 am and I contemplated getting up, I really did. I made a run downstairs and then went back to sleep. I woke again just before 11 and stayed up. F was there the first time, gone the second. I saw him downstairs with his mother, having lunch or something. 

He came upstairs a bit later and asked if I wanted to go out for lunch. He said he’d eaten already. I reminded him that I had bought stuff for lunch today so didn’t need to go out.  I didn’t tell him that I was rather hurt not to be invited to join the meal downstairs. I get that he needs to make sure his mother eats, but I don’t really like eating upstairs all the time, particularly when everyone else has eaten together.  It feels like I’m being “othered” again.  

F spent most of the afternoon in bed. He said that his back hurt.  He slept for a bit. I watched some TV, mostly the Grammys and last week’s American Idol. After one of his trips downstairs he told me that his mother had made curry for dinner. I wasn’t too happy, ungrateful wretch that I am, we’d just had really nice curry the night before. 

We ended up going downstairs around 7 and having dinner together. It was kind of nice.  Lately though, I’ve been having a hard time with the noren that K has hanging between the kitchen and the living room. If it was up to me, I’d throw the bloody thing in the garbage. It catches on my clothes, gets caught in the door…what a useless piece of crap really. Obviously, since this isn’t my home it isn’t up to me. 

After dinner, F washed the dishes and I got to dry them and the dishes that were left in the sink from before. Oh, joy. I asked that we go out and not go to F’s usual place, which he was okay with.

We went to Starbucks. The roads were clear at the time. We got there and F discovered that his phone wasn’t with him. Oops.  I suggested that we go back and get it, but he said it didn’t matter.  We went in and both had a cup of the drip coffee. We had a good seat and tried to sit and relax. I tried to sign up for something on the receipt, but we couldn’t get it to work and nearly came to a fight over it. It just seemed stupid to me. I’m possessive, I don’t really like handing my phone over to anyone, let alone my husband.  We never did get it worked out, but it didn’t matter.

I went to the washroom in Starbucks and when I came out someone said, “Helen?” It surprised me! It was one of my ex-students, all grown up.  We had a nice conversation and even exchanged numbers so we can text each other.  Her English was always good, but she’d done a homestay in the US I think, so she is very fluent.

F and I left and went to the grocery store. We got a few things for lunch tomorrow and then came back to the house. I got the plastic garbage ready for him to take out in the morning, no big deal. 

He went to bed fairly soon after we got back, but didn’t really sleep.  I watched American Idol’s finale and enjoyed it.  

I’m not sure what’s going to happen tomorrow. F is still technically under quarantine, but he doesn’t seem to think it applies to him. He’s talking about going to the onsen in the morning, but I’m not really that interested. If I go, it’ll be for the wifi or the crochet time!  

Come back later and see what goes on as part of our Tuesday. Until tomorrow….

No comments: