March 27, 2019

Wednesday - Cool and rainy

I woke up early this morning but did manage to get back to sleep. F left and I didn’t hear him, my alarm woke me soon afterwards though. 

I had a very quiet morning and basically didn’t see K at all until F got back to the house in the evening! I didn’t take a nap today and I did do some of my sashiko, so that was good. It’s early yet, but I think it looks okay. 



I watched a couple of episodes of This is Us today. I have seen the first season already, but I really enjoy watching it. The only thing that really bugs me, if there is anything, is the character of Kate. I’m a fat woman, I’ve been fat most of my life but I don’t obsess about it all the time. It is a bit like she has nothing else in her life. Okay, I know she’s got a guy, but what else is important to her? Fat people are rarely just fat. They tend to have to be hard workers and have developed good coping skills. Just my take on it.

F came back to the house around 6 and I was in the kitchen getting things ready. I did a mish-mash of things today and it mostly worked. From the freezer, we had a spinach cake (like an onion cake but with spinach) and some cauliflower.  We had bought some teriyaki marinated chicken yesterday so I baked that, and I also made some tiny pancakes inspired by Mark Bittman from his old column at the NY Times. He called them tortillita and he was inspired by ones he had in Madrid. It’s basically an eggy-floury pancake that you put stuff in and fry it. I had some leftover broccoli and mushrooms from Monday’s dinner, so put them in the pancakes and it was nice. Most of them disappeared!

F and I did the dishes and after a few minutes decided to brave the rain and go out. We went to the bookstore and then to Starbucks where we had some cake with our decaf coffee. Starbucks charges us a 50 yen surcharge each for decaf coffee. Not sure if that is a good deal or not. 

We stayed for a while and then came back to the house. I put the garbage together to send it out and then took a shower. I plied F with some tea and did a little research on the internet. There’s a sashiko exhibit a bit north of here and I was wondering if I should ask my friends if they’d like to go and see it when they come here. However, I’m not sure if I should. I did find out that this area is quite famous for the type of sashiko so that is a point in my favour I think!

Anyway, that’s it for me. Tomorrow I think I’ll try for some laundry and maybe start packing things in my suitcase. Wish me luck with that. Come back later if you like and see what happens here. Until tomorrow….

2 comments:

Rosa said...

How funny, I just started watching This Is Us yesterday. I'm about 4 episodes into the first season. I really like it, but I agree about Kate. So far she's a bit one dimensional in the way that you mention. Otherwise I'm enjoying the series, though it is a bit tear-jerky.

I think the sashiko exhibit sounds very cool, but like you, I'm always up for a new crafty experience!

Helen said...

I really like This is Us. I've just rewatched the first season, next season will start soon. Yay! you'll probably be ahead of me in a few weeks.

I think an offshoot of sashiko called boro-boro is a little like your scrap quilting :-) I have a shirt that I'd like to try it with. I probably won't since I have a million things to do!

Thank you so much for visiting again !