December 4, 2019

Wednesday - Rainy and cold

I woke up this morning to an empty room. I was rather surprised! F must have been very quiet this AM. I watched the news from the bed, I didn’t doze through it like I usually do so that was good.

I did a few things today off my list.  I printed my nengajo - I thought I had bought 20 cards, but there were only 10 in the packet. Weird. I put more stuff in my suitcase…my suitcase is getting heavy… and I worked on my ornament, but I didn’t finish it yet. I decided to leave that for the morning. It wasn’t on my list, but I also did a load of laundry so yay for me!

When lunchtime came around, I went downstairs and heated up the stew. I used the microwave this time. I gave K some, also made her a piece of buttered toast. She seemed happy to have it.  I had stew on toast and it was very good.  It’s all gone now though.

I watched a bit of the TV off the DVR, but I didn’t finish it yet.  I’m a bit behind, but it should be okay I think. 

I watched the news and then went down to wash my dishes. The kitchen was freezing, but of course, F called then to say he was coming back.  I asked if he thought he could eat the dinner and he said yes.

I defrosted the fish/veggie packs and then when he came back got ready to cook. It went fairly well. He cooked some fish that he’d bought last night and I cooked my fish that I’d bought.  We had rice, two kinds of fish, vegetables and at the last minute had some salad that I saw in the fridge. I had bought it for dinner, I’d just forgotten that I’d bought it. Dinner went down a treat.  Of course, I got stuck with the dishes again, but F did the fish grill that he used anyway, so that’s all I really cared about. 

F had said that he’d like to go out later so I changed my clothes.  We went to Komeda Coffee where I very nearly fell asleep. Obviously, I was drinking decaf coffee again! 

After an hour or two in the coffee shop, we moved on to the grocery store. We picked up something for tomorrow’s dinner (I’m doing pasta with shrimp) and a few other things around the house. 

We went to the drugstore when we finished in the grocery store. Both F and I needed a few things.

We came back to the house and I put the groceries away, did up the garbage for tomorrow and then came upstairs.  I did up my garbage up here too, F added a few things to the bag I think. 

And that’s about it. It was a good evening. I told F that I’m going on strike soon as the kitchen is getting too cold to cook in. It’s unheated and it really is cold in there.  What kind of idiot builds a kitchen in this part of Japan and doesn’t put a heater or an air conditioner in it?  Some idiot who doesn’t want food in the summer or winter, that’s who. 

Come back tomorrow if you are interested and I’ll fill you in on all the deets as the young’uns say. (Do they still say that?) Until tomorrow….


Two weeks today!  I can hardly wait….

2 comments:

Rosa said...

Cooking in an unheated kitchen in winter sounds very Japanese. Can you get a space heater or something to warm up the space while you cook (or would that be frowned upon by F and his mother)? I guess you could make your point by cooking while wearing your heaviest coat, hat, scarf, and gloves!

Helen said...

I kind of like that idea! I just don't want to get my coat dirty while I cook in it. The hat and gloves though, totally doable!

There isn't a lot of room or plug-ins in the kitchen to put a space heater in. I have a couple of spare heaters, I just wouldn't be able to put them in the kitchen with me. I've told F a couple of times that the person who designed his house was an idiot! That didn't go over well at all.