August 15, 2019

Thursday - Too hot and very sunny

After last night’s moaning blog I had the feeling that today was going to be a bad day. It wasn’t. It was a very good day!  I went to bed around 4 last night, I wasn’t too motivated to go to bed. This morning around 6 am, I woke up when F got up to turn on the air conditioner. He was protesting about the heat, and it was already over 30 in the bedroom.  He was really nice to me, which surprised me a lot.  I went back to sleep, I got up around 8 so I could watch the news, then snoozed again until just before 11.  

Around 11, F suggested going out for lunch with his mother. I was okay with that, a little less with his next suggestion which was to go and visit his ancestors’ grave in Oyama.  I wasn’t sure about that one. When F was suggesting places to go, I tried to be fairly accepting of most places and just suggested that we phone first to make sure the place was open. So many restaurants close during Obon that it can be hard to find a good place to go.

We ended up in Hana, a restaurant that I don’t like on principle (they give women less rice with their meals, for the same price as men pay). The food is generally okay there, but it’s either fish or pork cutlets.  I decided I’d have what F had today, so I had the keisen-don. Basically, it was raw fish on rice. I have to say it wasn’t bad at all. K had her usual Saba (mackerel) meal.  We had a decent meal and then drove K back to her house.  F suggested that she use the air conditioner, which she did.

F and I went to Oyama. We had to stop at a grocery store to get some flowers and also a cutter to cut them with! We went over to the little mossy temple in Oyama, parked and then went up to the grave.  F did the cleaning bit and changed one of the bunches of flowers and then we went into the temple too. I’d never been inside it before. It’s lovely.

Going back to the car we met the priest of the temple and his wife I think.  The priest was in his “oji-san” underwear…a top and what looked like white long-johns! He studied in New York, and can speak a bit of English so we all chatted for a bit. I’m not sure why, but we were given a bottle of iced coffee!  F said later that maybe they thought we made a donation to their temple. Errr….oops.

On our way back to Tsuruoka, F asked what I wanted to do. I suggested karaoke.  It was so hot in his house and this would be fun, indoors, and we didn’t have to pay for the air conditioning.  Happily he liked the idea, so after gassing up the car we were able to get in at a karaoke box.  

We sang a bunch of different songs. Last time I did mostly Canadian songs, today I did barely any! I sang a lot and I enjoyed it.

After our three hours was up, we tried to find K a bento for her dinner. We couldn’t find one! Two grocery stores had no decent bentos left, so we decided to get her a freshly made one at the bento place we go at times. We brought that back to her at the house, but she’d already gone to bed. She got up to eat, and enjoy the air conditioning that F had turned back on for her. She won’t use it for herself usually.

We went out again to have dinner and had our usual difficulty in finding a good place that was open for us. We drove into one place’s parking, but the sign on the door said closed. We went to another place but they said we’d have to wait an hour to get a table. Nope. Another place said they were too busy. A fourth place had already closed, so we ended up at Sashimi-ya. I didn’t really want fish again, but I kept my mouth shut. To be fair, F had tried to take me to other places, we just had bad timing. I decided not to have raw fish again, so I had a gindara teishoku or set meal, and F had a tuna bowl. His looked nice, mine was fine, but not great. It was a bit small to be honest.

After our meal we came back to the house and came upstairs. I suggested watching an episode of The Good Doctor together, so that’s what we did. While we did that, I darned in the ends of a couple of small projects I made and finished the first ball of my funky doily project.

And that’s about it for my day. F has one more day of work this week and then he’s off for the weekend. Oh, and we’re supposed to be changing our internet provider this weekend, so if I suddenly disappear after Friday, that is likely what happened. We’re hoping that things will magically fix themselves.  


Anyway, come back later if you like and see what we get up to. Until tomorrow….

No comments: