September 12, 2019

Thursday - Cooler, sunny, nice

I woke this morning a little after 8:00am which was a surprise. My alarm had been going for a while, but I was so asleep I didn’t hear it. It was also the first morning in ages that I wasn’t sweating and too hot. Quite a change really.

I had a pretty good day today. I was fairly productive too. In the morning I did a couple of loads of laundry and hung it up. I had a very quiet afternoon, basically didn’t see K at all, until I came downstairs to get my lunch or something. 

A little after 5 pm I went into the kitchen and stuck in with preparing for dinner. I was making a stew tonight, I used a roux mix from the supermarket, but I had to do all the prep. It took a while but wasn’t too bad really.  I had just cut everything up when F called to say he was finished work.  I started cooking around then, so when he came back to the house dinner was well underway. 

I also cooked some eggplant and mushrooms as a side dish.  I had been doing research in the afternoon looking for a recipe but didn’t find one. However, I did find a blog and the writer’s advice was to overcook the eggplants! He said it was much better to overcook than undercook, so I took that advice to heart and did.  I think he was right!

I got F to put the rice in the dishes and then put the stew on top. The eggplant & mushroom mix went on the table and I also put out the pickled radishes that we bought yesterday. They had a nice crunch and a little bit of fire to contrast the other food. 

Dinner got pretty good reviews, so that was good.  I do think I did rather well :-)  The best thing is that there are leftovers for tomorrow. I’ll have to redo the eggplant and mushrooms, and I’ll add a couple more things too, but that’s okay. Stir-fries are best made fresh usually. 

After dishes which F washed in no orderly fashion that I could see, we went out. F wanted to go to the onsen and this time had asked his mother to go too.  I came along for the ride and the chairs at the spa.  They went and took their baths, I found a nice corner and did a little crochet and listened to a podcast. 

We drove back to Tsuruoka and dropped K off at the house. Then, F and I went for a kakigori at Komeda. We both thought it might be the last one of the season.  We hit up the grocery store for a few things for tomorrow’s dinner and tonight’s snacking. 

We came back to the house and I took a shower.  I thought about waiting another night, but on the whole, I’m glad I took one.

And that’s about it. It was an okay day today, actually a bit better than okay.  

Come back later if you like and see what happens around here on Friday. Until tomorrow….

No comments: