September 14, 2019

Saturday - Warm and sunny

Today was day one of my anniversary weekend.  I spent a lot of the day working. F had said he would get up early and I believed him, but he didn't. Oh well.  I got up just before 11 and stayed up.  He talked about going for lunch but I said I'd eat in the Internet Cafe. I packed up my backpack and off we went.

He dropped me off at the Internet Cafe and I spent the next 4 hours preparing for the classes I'm going to teach on Tuesday. I did quite a lot for the first class, then had lunch there. I got back to work after lunch and finally got it done.  I still have to print out my lesson plans and make a few props, but I think things will be okay.  I called F to come and pick me up and he did.

We bought K a nice bento from the good bento shop. I told F that since we were going to have some lovely food, she should get something nice too.  We brought it back to the house and then went upstairs.  I unpacked my computer and set it back up, then started to get ready to go out. I decided not to get too dressed up today because F wasn't and because I just didn't know what I should wear.

F called a taxi and then we went to Suzune, a Kaiseki Japanese restaurant. We had our own private room to eat in, although the room next door to us was noisy.  The food was amazing.  I'll let my pictures do the talking....

When we went into our dining room...

18 years on...I complain about him a lot, but he's very sweet sometimes!

Our first course.  Assorted veggies and mini-sushi.  Lovely!

With the lid of the small dish open.

Chawanmushi with ground chicken in the center. Yum.

Tempura. This was lovely.

Sawara for shabu-shabu.  To be honest, this was my least favourite dish as I didn't cook the first piece quite enough.

The Shabu-shabu pan and the sauce for cooking.

Grilled Amadai. A very sweet tasting fish, nice though.

Came with the Amadai.  Miso soup, pickles and Mt. Haguro's rice.

Dessert!  This was wagashi in the cylinder, awabi, vanilla ice cream and hoji-cha pudding. I loved the pudding and the ice cream.  I got matcha with mine, F had hoji-cha. 

A kimono on display. I'm crouching a bit as my hair disappeared into the walls otherwise!

After our lovely dinner we weren't quite ready to go to the house yet. We walked to the hotel nearby thinking we could have a drink in their lounge, but their lounge only opens when they have a reservation! We didn't. Oops.  We walked on to Bardet, the little izakaya run by the chef from our favourite French restaurant and he was open.  Yay.  

We had a drink each there and some French Fries.  After that, we walked back to the station and checked it out. They are still renewing it, but it looks very cool these days.  

We caught a taxi and came back to the house.  We've spent the last couple of hours quietly. 

We are supposed to go out tomorrow and go fishing with friends, but I am wondering if we'll be able to get up!  If I don't go to bed soon, I definitely won't be getting up!  

Today was good. Let's hope the rest of the weekend goes as well. Until tomorrow....


2 comments:

usman makhdoom said...

Awwwww man. It was touching to see this Helen. Congrats, congrats.

20 years of following your journal/blog. We're getting on, aren't we?

Helen said...

Indeed we are! Thanks for visiting and commenting today.