March 27, 2020

Friday - Rainy, but clear in the daytime

I had a usual quiet day here today. It was like all the others except around 1 pm I started marinating some meat for dinner and then after lunch, I did a bit of mending on F’s jeans. This is the third time I’ve had to do a patch on his jeans, I kind of think he needs new jeans, but…. I tacked the patch onto the jeans and did a couple of rows before I had to stop. It looks sort of cool right now. It’ll take a bit of work to get it done though.

Around 5:15 F called to say he was finished work. For some reason, I didn’t go downstairs for a while and he was actually back here before I did. It wasn’t a big deal though.

What actually was a big deal was that he’d come in bearing flowers. He said they were for me, but I really don’t think so. I told him quite plainly that I didn’t have a vase and so maybe he should give them to his mother! 

He did. Oh heavens. She brought this huge flower arrangement into the kitchen from the genkan. It had a lot of yellow flowers that started dropping their petals all over the place. She tried to cut the new flowers stems but did a really bad job. Meanwhile, I’m trying to get dinner ready and I can’t do anything in the kitchen. F was yelling at his mother (she can’t hear otherwise) and I just wanted the pair of them to get out and leave me alone!

Finally, I got things started. I did garlic pork tonight with rice and miso soup, plus pickled eggplants and baby leaf lettuce. It wasn’t a difficult meal by any means, most of the stuff came from the store so it wasn’t hard work, I just needed to get on it. I also made up some raspberry vinegar drink as that sounded nice for a change. F was looking for something for the bread maker while I was getting things ready and it really upset me. I need peace and quiet around me, not rustling papers and raking through drawers. 

Dinner was okay. Of course, F had done a bunk and was in his bunk…I had to go upstairs to get him to come to dinner. The pork was good, very garlicky, and the salad was yummy. Everything disappeared.

F and I did the dishes, he ran off at the end as usual. It’s so annoying. I told him multiple times that I needed to clean the stove but he wouldn’t get out of my way. I finally got it done and then went upstairs. Where he was back in bed.

I reminded him that we were supposed to go out. He didn’t want to at first but relented later. 

We went to Komeda coffee and each had a decaf. We both had a dessert, so that was quite nice.  After an hour we came back to the house.

F went back to bed, I took a shower and then came and watched a bit of TV. I should have watched The Walking Dead tonight, but I’m finding that I just can’t watch too much of it at once. I watched an episode early on today and it depressed me a bit too much!

I watched a bit of comedy that has somehow found its way onto Japanese TV and felt a bit better. 

That’s about it for today. Oh, today was the 23rd anniversary of my arriving in Japan. There is so much I love about Japan, but so much more that I dislike. It’s a quandary sometimes about why I still live here. One day I’ll think more about it. 


Come back later if you like and see what I get up to. Until tomorrow….

4 comments:

Rosa said...

Happy Japanversary! Can you believe that you've lived--what?--nearly half your life in Japan?

Your description of trying to make dinner around F and his mother reminds me of a Marx Brother's movie. What chaos! Too bad you can't just throw a frozen pizza in the oven and call it dinner. Lol.

Helen said...

Oh, how I wish about the pizza! F and I used to make our own pizzas before and that was fun, but he thinks his mother wouldn't eat it or couldn't eat it!

I haven't lived half of my life in Japan yet...but I have lived most of my life outside Canada when I add in the places I lived as a child...It's a weird feeling really.

Thanks for visiting and commenting!

uthman said...

Helen, wouldn't Fumihiko...be that reason ? I mean it's not uncommon to be stuck in a country one dislikes but moved to /stays in because they married there...?

Helen said...

Yes, he is generally the reason that I am still here, but sometimes I even wonder about that! I didn't come to Japan for him, but he is the reason that I stay!