May 20, 2020

Wednesday - Cold and rainy

I got up this morning around my usual time and did my usual thing of watching the news. When it was over I was really sleepy so decided to take a nap. I took one and slept a little later than I meant, but it wasn’t too bad really. I had my breakfast and watched Suits from last night.

After lunch, I watched the rest of the movie I started yesterday. It was called Jonathan and it was rather odd. Good ideas, but low budget and it didn’t quite deliver for me. I worked on my mask again. I unpicked it and have started to resew it using cotton thread for the most part.

A bit after 5 pm I went downstairs to start dinner. I had originally planned to make baked potatoes but changed my mind and made Bangers and Mash instead. I also served my soup from yesterday. As usual, I had very little help in the kitchen. F was very tired when he came back to the house and K never helps.

I got dinner on the table and people liked it, but F barely ate any of the soup and only a small amount of the mashed potatoes. I hope he wasn’t too hungry afterwards. I thought he was going to help me with the dishes, but of course, he didn’t. He was nowhere in sight. He phoned when I was nearly done to say that he was having a leg cramp and couldn’t move! He said he was going to go to the onsen. I thought it was odd as it was nearly 8:10 and they close at 9 but okay, whatever.

When I finished the dishes I was so tired and my back hurt a lot. I tried to take a nap but got up after a few minutes. I watched Project Runway which was quite good and halfway through F came back. He’d been too late for the onsen. I felt sorry for him, but wondered why he even left the house!

While I was checking out websites tonight, I checked my local cinema’s website to see if they were planning to reopen soon and they aren’t. They are going to close. I was reading a translation so I might have something not quite right, but it sounded like with the virus they wouldn’t be able to have films safely anymore. I am so sad about this. F and I have seen many a film there. They get films that the bigger multiplex in the mall doesn’t show. They had lots of English movies, and quite a few non-English/non-Japanese films too.  I’ve often written about going out to see a film in the daytime, I likely won’t be doing that again. The multiplex in the mall just doesn’t have great films and it is so much harder for me to get there and back. 

I know that thousands of people have died due to this virus, but this place is like my home. It has made living in Japan bearable for me. I knew that there was a little place where I could go and watch films and be taken away for an hour or two. 

2020 has really sucked so far. First I lost the TV channel that kept me sane in the house, and now I lose the place that got F and me out of the house together on the weekend. There is still a big multiplex in the mall, but they don’t always have English films and they don’t always have good films! And, don’t get me started on the virus!

I’d better go. Sorry for the whine. I know these aren’t serious problems but they do affect my mental health and especially in this time of world pandemics, I needed something to look forward to —after.  

Come back later if you like and hear about my Thursday. Until tomorrow….

No comments: