September 25, 2020

Friday - Rainy and windy, clearing later on


We had a great time up north on our little break. We stayed at a lovely hotel…the one I agonized about for days and nearly cancelled turned out to be great and in a good location. We didn’t really fight (just a few short words when hungry) and did a lot of walking and sightseeing. Yay us!


We managed to leave here on time on Wednesday and drove to our first stop, a nice restaurant. F had made reservations for us. We had a lovely meal and then got back on the road. The driving was the worst part of it…it turned out to be around 6 hours with stops and stretching-leg breaks and the not-following-the-GPS interludes!


We checked into our hotel and found our room, then went out for dinner soon afterwards. F found an izakaya and we went there. It was okay, not great, but decent. We ate at another izakaya the next night. I was a tad disappointed because F had talked about going to a “nice” place and I’d brought a spiffy thing to wear, but he changed his mind. 


On Thursday we did a lot of sightseeing. We found a place to park the car that was central and walked all over the downtown part of the city. We even went to a very cool old-style coffee shop that a friend had taken me to years before. F was impressed!


We left this morning after we checked out of our hotel. I’m afraid I slept a good part of the way back. We’d had a huge breakfast in the hotel, so didn’t need to eat again until 3:30ish. We went to the good road stop in Akita that has a food court. F had ramen and I had a good burger. It was pretty darn good. 


We got back to Tsuruoka around 7 pm and K was still up. F said hello to her and I tried, but she didn’t see me, and she can’t hear me. We relaxed for a few hours and then went to a gyudon shop for a late light dinner. It was okay. 


We came back to the house and I took a shower. F went to bed. He hasn’t been sleeping all that well. The night before we left he barely slept (and made so much noise/motion, etc) and I barely slept too because of it. He slept well on Wednesday night, but last night in the hotel he said he didn’t sleep well. I slept fine, however, but slept a lot of the way back!


We stopped for some Gotochi cards for me too. I’ve mostly stopped collecting them, but I couldn’t pass these up as I have wanted to be in Akita and Aomori on a weekday so I could buy them at a post office!


Anyway, we’re back! Saturday is F’s holiday still although he might have to go in for a while on Sunday. Come back a little later and find out. Until tomorrow….

No comments: