January 7, 2021

Thursday - snowy, cold, windy, thundery, and really windy.


F woke me up this morning and complained that I had been snoring last night. Oh dear. Then he took to Twitter and complained about my snoring. Nice one. I got up, went downstairs, checked if there was a lot of snow outside (no) so I went back to the room and waited for F to leave. After he did, I got back into bed and watched some of the news. 


The news was all about the storming of the government buildings in Washington DC. It was shocking!  The US isn’t (wasn’t?) a tinpot little dictatorship that you might expect this to happen. It’s just crazy.


I dragged myself out of bed later and got dressed. I had breakfast, watched a little bit of YouTube.  I kept hearing huge thumps and was kind of dreading going outside. Finally, around 1 pm I dressed for going outside and opened the door. All the snow had fallen off the front part of the house onto the steps underneath. They were under at least a foot of snow now. Ack. The driveway wasn’t too bad, but the steps were horrible. 


I grabbed the shovel and the dump and got to work. It was windy, there was thunder and lightning, and maybe a bit of rain too. It was horrible out there and there was so much snow to move. I got the steps cleaned off finally, or at least most of them done, and went and did a bit of other snow moving. When I went back inside around 1 pm, my coat was soaking, my gloves were soaking and my back was sore.


I took my wet stuff upstairs to dry and then went into the kitchen and got a start on dinner. I marinated the meat and then put it back in the fridge. I made my lunch next. I took half of the leftovers from yesterday’s dinner for my lunch and put the other half on a plate for K. 


I took my lunch upstairs and ate. I didn’t have a lot of time before the news so I put on YouTube and ate my lunch. The news was difficult to watch at times. I really like the PBS news and I found it hard to believe what was happening.


Around 5 pm I went outside again to check on the snow situation. It had snowed a little, so I cleared that off the steps, looked at the entrance to the road and cleared a little snow there too. I went into the house because there wasn’t that much left to do outside.


I started getting dinner ready. I washed my dishes, I washed some spinach that had been sitting around the kitchen for a week or two, and I got on with making dinner. I had thought about doing a fried rice thing, but realized that I was rather tired and didn’t want to work very hard. K didn’t get rice yesterday, so would probably appreciate regular rice and miso soup today, so that’s what she got. I made coro-coro steak done in a garlic marinade, fried mushrooms with a butter-soy sauce flavour, salad, and steamed spinach with a bit of lemon juice on it. 


She did come and ask me about F, but he wasn’t talking to me yet, so I had to tell her I didn’t know. About 5 minutes later he walked into the house. I invited him to join us for dinner, but he refused. 


I put the food on the table and K and I ate. It was really nice, even if I say so myself. I had some couscous instead of rice and that was nice too. Most but not all of the food disappeared, so I made a plate for F and put it in the fridge. 


I did all the dishes, listening to podcasts and trying to relax. My back was really sore. 


I went upstairs and told F that if he changed his mind about dinner there was some in the fridge for him. I don’t think he had any, but he could have if he wanted. 


Over the evening we got gradually more friendly. I wouldn’t say that we’re back to normal yet, but at least we aren’t shouting and name calling. I did quite a bit of crochet tonight too. It's looking quite nice, my little blanket.


The wind tonight has been incredibly fierce and noisy. The temperature is quite low too, so F has already turned off the water in the house. Yesterday, I didn’t have to as it was above zero. Tonight it is -3 or thereabouts.


I’m not sure what I’ll get up to tomorrow. It is really hard when I have to spend so much time and energy shovelling snow. 


Oh, today is my nephew’s birthday. I don’t think his present has arrived yet. I did send it but it might have got caught in the Christmas mail.


Come back later if you want and hear all about my day. Until tomorrow….

No comments: