June 8, 2021

Tuesday - Sunny and warm, bit muggy


I managed to get to bed before 3 am this morning, so when F woke me up at 7 am I wasn’t in too bad of shape. I actually woke up so that was cool.  I went downstairs, said goodbye to my husband and then went back to sleep. I turned off my alarms for a lot of the morning. 


I slept through the news I usually watch, but got up and watched the one I always do.  I did two loads of laundry and hung them up. I kept an eye out for K as well, she seemed fine. 


F phoned me to say that he was thinking about taking half a day off work today. I was fine with that. I know he was worried about his mother. 


F came back to the house around 2 pm. He checked on his mother and she was fine. I’d seen her around the house too, so I thought she would be okay. 


F and I went out for lunch. He’d already eaten but I hadn’t. He said he’d be okay if we could go somewhere where he could just have dessert or something light. I suggested Kula Sushi and we went there. We were able to get in right away and then F did something odd. He tried to find something on the menu before he let me order some of the things that take a while to come. Normally it wouldn’t be that big of a deal, but I hadn’t had lunch and he had! I was hungry! Anyway, stuff started to arrive a bit later. F finally found the sushi that he was looking for. It was raw shrimp on rice, a lot of small shrimp. He ordered one and ate it. I didn’t have any as I’m not a fan of raw shrimp. A little later, he ordered two more plates of it! We also had our usual onion rings, plus we shared some fries. We had a few different things and it was okay. We didn’t win anything today from their plate/game thing.


After lunch we had to pop back to the house to pick up F’s phone, then we went to Komeda Coffee to have dessert and coffee and to relax for a bit. It was busy there, and we didn’t get our drinks for ages. The poor waitress looked swamped though so we weren’t upset about it.


We left and went to the grocery store to pick up something for K’s dinner. We ended up getting noodles for all of us! I picked up a couple of things as well, including milk and more yogurt because K keeps stealing mine!


We also made a quick drugstore run and then came back to the house. F gave the food to his mother. I came upstairs and relaxed for a while.  


Fumihiko and I didn’t eat for quite a while. I’ve had a bit of an upset stomach today so I didn’t really want to eat, but then I ended up eating all my food, so that was okay. 


Later, I went downstairs and washed the dishes and my cup.  I came back upstairs and watched my FBI show. It was okay tonight, not terribly special.  


And that’s about it. F is back to work tomorrow and hopefully, things will go back to normal. I’ll be back in the kitchen at night so fingers crossed it will go well. 


Come back later if you like and hear all about my day. Until tomorrow….

2 comments:

Janis said...

Hi Helen. I haven't commented before, but I read your blog regularly. It's given me a fascinating window into daily life in Japan. You're a terrific writer and I love that you post daily. I'm here to comment about fuki. I've posted about your MIL's bringing fuki into the kitchen and it sounds like it's NOT your favorite food! Although I am a Japanese American and like Japanese food, I'd never heard of fuki until reading your blog. I just saw this article, which has a Canadian angle, and even though you're not a fuki fan, I thought you might find it interesting. Cheers, Janis
https://www.nationalobserver.com/2021/06/02/news/why-japanese-delicacy-grows-near-old-bc-internment-camp

Helen said...

Thanks Janis, and thank you for the article! It makes a lot of sense that it would be grown around the camps in Canada. It is almost a weed. I'm not sure if anyone planted it in the garden or if it just came up by itself!

I have eaten it, it is often served as a side dish here in Japanese restaurants, but I don't like it very much. Unfortunately, the way that my MIL cooks it smells horrible!! It's quite bitter to eat too.

Once again, thank you for your kind words.