November 20, 2021

Saturday - Warmish and clear


I slept in today as I was up very, very late. F came upstairs and told me that he was going to take his mother to the doctor as she was a bit under the weather.


After he got back and made her some lunch, it was our turn. He suggested a restaurant and as it was one I liked, we went there! F had ham cutlet for lunch, I had the bacon-don. I like that one because I feel it is like breakfast as it has bacon and egg on rice. 


After lunch, we headed out to Yunohama. We made a brief stop at a drugstore to pick up drinks for the road and to get some tissues for the car. We ended up having to get a package of boxes as it was cheaper than buying one individual box of tissues!


In Yunohama, F drove us up some very scary and narrow roads to go to a hotel. The hotel was hosting a craft sale and a woman who makes pottery had let us know about it. We’ve bought bowls and cups from her in the past, so F wanted to go again. We had a look around and it was nice. There weren’t a lot of people at the sale. One lady was selling bags made from jeans…they were expensive but looked amazing. There was a place selling semi-precious jewelry. I liked it but couldn’t think of someone to give it to! We went outside to a different section and saw an area that had a lot of sashiko and kogin on display. At one point, a man asked me if I knew about sashiko (in English!) and I said a little. One of the displays was made up of examples of different samplers of stitches. They were beautiful.  I said to the guy that I thought that most of them were kogin and he was quite surprised that I knew that word!  He explained that since this area was very into sashiko, kogin was included in sashiko or something like that. I’m not sure that I agree, but if it was his work, I’ll bow to his experience! I may have misunderstood of course.


We came back to the hotel’s lobby and looked at the lady’s pottery. She had some amazing things, but the problem is that they didn’t fit into our lives. In the end, we ended up buying smaller cups. We have huge cups upstairs, these are smaller cups that we might use for coffee when we have it with meals. We got a little freebie from her too, for milk she suggested. 


We drove back into Tsuruoka. F decided that he wanted to get his hair cut, so I asked to be dropped off at S-Mall. F dropped me off and I went in. I did a little tour of the hundred yen shop and then the grocery store. It was Costco day there and I wanted to see if they had any Havarti cheese. Sigh, they didn’t. 


I went to Doutor and had a drink. I tried their new houji-cha latte. I liked it. I waited for F and he called a little later to say he was on his way. He joined me and I bought him a decaf coffee. 


We looked in the grocery store for something for K’s dinner. F picked up a few things, and then we delivered our stuff back to the house. K got her dinner and a few minutes later, F and I went out for ours. I had suggested a couple of fish restaurant possibilities and F chose Kappa Sushi. We went there and had a fun meal. We shared some fries and even ordered ourselves some mayo to have with them.  


F wanted to go to the grocery store afterwards, so we went in. I didn’t really think it was a good idea since I want him to pick up bentos tomorrow so that they are as fresh as possible for K. However, there weren’t any bentos anyway. He picked up a few things and then we came back to the house.


We had a quiet evening in. Both of us packed for our trip tomorrow. I’m taking a backpack since we are only going away for one night. I watched my show and then watched something else off the DVR. F went to bed quite early. He’s hoping to take his mother to the onsen tomorrow morning before our trip. 


And that’s about it. I won’t be updating tomorrow night. If all goes well, I’ll write more on Monday night so don’t wait up for me! Come back later if you like and hear all about my trip. Until next time…



No comments: