November 30, 2019

Saturday - Cloudy and cold

This morning we all slept in quite late.  I woke up a couple of times but fell back asleep.  When it was 11 am I got up for a little. F and I talked about going out for lunch, it was a good idea.  He went downstairs to check on his mother and I got dressed. K didn’t want to come out with us so we promised to bring her a bento. 

We went to Hyakkenbori for lunch and it was great. I had the chicken namban set that you make into ochaisuke at the end.  It was so nice. F was having a bad stomach day so had munikiri or local udon.  He had fish with his.  We had the drink set too so I had some coffee and tea, F had coffee I think.  There were a couple of interesting things that happened during our meal though. The first was the waitress mentioned their Christmas Party that we can book from early December. It’s very reasonable for good food and the minimum number of people is two.  Sounds perfect for us. I took a flyer, I hope that F goes for it as I’ve been suggesting we have an early Christmas dinner for the two of us.

The other odd thing is that an older lady came over to us while we were eating and asked F in Japanese where I came from.  He told her it was a private thing and that he didn’t want to talk about it! I was really surprised. I probably wouldn’t have minded telling her as the lady seemed nice, but on the whole, I’m glad that he stuck up for me.  I’m not on display, believe it or not.  I do wonder if people think about how strange it is to be approached by other people wanting to know where they are from all the time?  Why? Anyway, she left and it didn’t seem like it was a big deal, but I was a bit “Yay F” inside. 

After lunch, we picked up a bento for his mother as promised and delivered it.  Then, we went to see about me getting more Christmas Cards.  There’s a packaging store that sells some and they aren’t terribly expensive.  In Japan, they tend to be 300-400 yen each (3 or 4 Canadian dollars) as they aren’t sold in boxes like in Canada.  It looks like they might be selling off the cards because I found some, but there weren’t that many. I had to buy a few duplicates. I hope they get more next year…or I might pick up a few in the January sales back in Canada!

We did a little shopping next and went to the mall.  F and I walked around the mall. I got a few new balls of cotton yarn at the hundred yen shop, thicker stuff than I had before. We left the mall after picking up a bento for K’s dinner. 

We came back to the house and although we had planned to go to Mikawa and see a movie, F begged off.  He was feeling dizzy and his back hurt.  I didn’t mind not going, to be honest as I was ambivalent about going to see the movie. It wasn’t a must-see for me anyway.

We came upstairs and I watched a little YouTube and worked on a new ornament with some of my new yarn. It’s looking good!

Around 7:30 we went out for dinner. I was hoping for Cocos but F suggested his favourite fish place. I didn’t honestly want fish that much, but on the other hand, it was fine. We were able to get a table and had a yummy dinner.  F ordered us some octopus tempura and that was nice. It came with curry salt which was so yum.  I had grilled fish of the day (sawara) and tempura, F had grilled fish of the day and sashimi, so we were quite fished up tonight.

We hit up a drugstore on the way back to the house for a few essential and non-essential things.  I got a little tube of toothpaste for here and a packet of facial wipes for the aeroplane.  They are nice for freshening up and they are hypoallergenic so work for me. I still plan to take some alcohol wipes for the plane to do a bit of pre-takeoff cleaning!

When we came back to the house we had missed most of Aquaman so I didn’t watch the ending. F seems tired although he’s still awake and on his computer. I worked on my ornament for a while and watched a couple of things on TV and the DVR tonight, no big deal.

That’s about it. So November went out on a good day. 


Come back later if you like and hear all about the way December starts! Until tomorrow….

No comments: