June 4, 2020

Thursday - Hot and sunny

It’s been 31 years since the Tiananmen Square Massacre. It’s one of the things that I remember the most from that time of my life. I had just graduated from University and felt a certain kindred with the student protesters in China. 

On a personal note, it was also the anniversary of my first “date” with F. He took his mother with us and he took me driving around the area to show me some of the sights. That was rather a long time ago!

Okay, here’s what I did today. I got up, watched the news and didn’t fall asleep for a change. I did check out Facebook for a while on my phone before getting dressed. I did a couple of loads of laundry today and hung them up.  Oh, and I watched the first two Austin Powers movies!  They were on our cable channel today. All three were on, but I got to the point where I couldn’t watch a third.  Funny movies for the most part, but the second one especially had a few cringe-y parts. 

I sent a bit of email that I’d been putting off today but didn’t get a lot of anything done. I didn’t even touch my mask-making stuff. The heat is just killing me. Our bedroom up here gets so hot and I can’t take it. I told F that I’ll be turning on the AC soon. 

F came back to the house around 6 pm, headed upstairs where I was and proceeded to take off his work clothes and put his pyjama bottoms on.  I broke it to him that he was cooking tonight and he was a tad surprised. (He shouldn’t have been, I reminded him last night!) 

He went downstairs and proceeded to make dinner. I did offer to help but was turned down.  About an hour later I was called down to eat. Of course, the table wasn’t completely set and he’d forgotten to put out the salad, but all in all, he’d done fairly well. He’d grilled some fish, made a kind of omelette, had miso soup and rice for everyone. The fish he cooked was good, the majority of the other stuff was nice, so it was a pretty successful meal.  As K and F were entranced by the telly, I read things on my phone and then absented myself to the washroom. I thought I’d let F see how much fun it is to have his helper run off on him. However, I came out a few minutes later and dried many of the dishes, so I did help!  

I asked F to take me to the grocery store as I needed a few things for tomorrow’s meals. He said he didn’t have a lot of money so I asked him what the budget was. He told me and we came in under that, so yay!  I got a couple of salads, some garbage bags, and we also got some ice cream for us and a pop for F. 

When we came back to the house and unpacked, F and I had our ice cream and then I took a shower. F took one a bit later.  

It’s been a fairly quiet evening. I didn’t turn on the TV at all. Thursday is a wasteland on TV, nothing that I want to watch is on. 

Not much idea what I’m going to get up to tomorrow. I might watch the last Austin Powers film and I might work on my mask, or I might try to stay cool. That is harder than it sounds!

That’s it for tonight. If you feel like it, swing by later and hear all about my Friday. Until tomorrow….

3 comments:

Usman Makhdoom said...

Uff I know his feels on the low on cash bit. Cornovarius has done a number on a lot of pockets

I've recently moved also from Alberta to and into an upper floor bedroom in Ontario and while I love the sun/out door heat and can bask in it positively for ages, indoor heat just wrecksss me...

I'm used to staying in a nice cool basement or at least having AC..here there's neither ans it just drains the life out of me

Ontario is so subpar to Alberta! Aren't you glad we;re from the best province?

Take care Helen

Helen said...

I haven't spent any time in Ontario at all, so I wouldn't really be able to say that it is sub-par! I've only ever been in the Toronto airport.

I really do miss Alberta though!

I do miss basements and how much cooler they are. Here in my almost attic room, I roast in summer. I wish that Japan did basements!

Usman Makhdoom said...

Oh I so very much relate. We're quite fortunate to have nice basements in Canada...I certainly took them for granted until I lived in the UK and Japan, where they either don't exist or are just crummy or ancient crawlspace type things.

I guess it also doesn't help that Jpaan has that weird attitude towards building new homes that are not meant to last etc etc...why excavate a basement etc.

I'm currently roasting too! One thing that also sucks..Ontario is humid, so the summer smells like Japan...but it's not Japan. It's kind of depressing.

Take care :)